Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Relapse Prevention - A Second Plan

11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,

My main CBT activities are updating the mood tracker and doing some thought records. I spend about 20 minutes daily doing these activities. I spend also an additional period of 30 minutes in forums. This gives a total of 50 minutes daily.

I am a little confused. It is like a prisoner who is in conditional and afraid of coming back to jail (in this case depression).

I believe that one important aspect now is working in some goals to distract myself and relax as much as possible. But the transition to reality is not easy, many years with bad habits.
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great to hear Eleveno!

What does balanced in regards to CBT look like to you? How much time each day or week do you devote to CBT?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi ~m and Ashley,

I have been learning a lot with therapy and writing in online support groups gives me the opportunity to reflect on my successes and failures and share it with other people (after all I am not alone with my problems). I use 2 forums: this one for discussions related to CBT and the other one for more general discussions.

I stopped doing CBT activities for 1 week and the symptoms of depression returned. Fortunately I started doing CBT activities 3 days ago and I am already free from depression again . It seems that I will have to keep doing some CBT activities for relapse prevention. I do not mind because it is for a good cause and being in a hole (depression) is much worse.

It was tempting to think that just for visiting my therapist 2 times a month would be enough to keep depression at bay but things doesn't work like this. At this moment I need to do some work everyday.

On the other hand if I do too many CBT activities I start feeling overwhelmed and my anxiety skyrocket. I need a balance and I think I am already finding it .
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eleveno,

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I'm curious too, what about online support groups do you think made them so helpful?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eleveno, I love how neatly you outline your progress and what has helped you to feel better.  Plus, you certainly seem to know exactly where you are going.  I envy you that.  I always seem to be in a bit of a muddle about my process.   You inspire me to seek more clarity!

I'm curious about your online experience... how has participating in the online support group been beneficial for you? 
After 5 months with medication, CBT, psychodynamic therapy and psycho education I feel I am ready to advance in other direction.
The other direction is to consolidate self-trust and leave behind my insecurities.

But before outlining my new plan I would like to write about the usefulness of what I have been doing:

- Medication:
Have helped me alleviate my symptoms and have a clear mind.
- CBT: Have helped me identify and challenging my cognitive distortions as well as understanding the effect my thinking and behaviour have on my feelings.
- Psychodynamic therapy: has helped me identify my core beliefs and when they were formed in the past as well as their influence in the present.
- Psycho education: Have taught me that we all have a legacy of insecurities and that some of us create bad habits to deal with these insecurities leading to depression and anxiety. More important yet is that these bad habits can be unlearned.

My new plan to consolidate self trust is very simple: keep following the indications of my doctor, keep with the psychodynamic therapy, stop formal practices of CBT and psycho education and dedicate less time in online support groups.

P.S. Now I want to share a little secret with you. Writing in online support groups and journaling were by far the most effective techniques that have helped me.

Reading this thread: