Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Starting the program

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sid,

I am happy you are considering joining the weekly group discussion.  The discussions are not going to be held on a specific time or day because many members would have trouble with scheduling.  Instead we will have one thread dedicated to a discussion on one session.  We will be discussing one session per week; so you can add your input whenever you are able to throughout the week.  The difference between these threads as opposed to others is it will be a bit more structured, also engagement and participation of members is essential.  That is why we asked members to commit to this discussion.  I hope this answers your questions.

In terms of goals. Congratulations!  If you complete your goals be sure you rewards yourself.  Rewards are incredible motivators and you deserve it!  Rewards can as simple as 30 minutes doing a favourite hobby to as extravagant as a trip to an exotic destination.  Try to scale rewards to the goal.  Big goals deserve big rewards!

Making goals manageable and time scheduled also help. Breaking down big goals into smaller more manageable goals will help you stay motivated because you will be seeing your success more regularly.  Also, make a schedule.  Schedule when you would like to complete a goal and record the intended reward if you achieve this goal.  What are some of your next goals and when do you plan on completing them?

Members, how do you reward yourself for reaching your goals?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

I want to thank you for the support and encouragement.   It means a lot to me.  I look  forward to returning the favor.  
I also go to the Y.  I started last week.  Water exercise and swimming.  The exercise sure helps.  I also like walking outdoors and riding my stationary bike.  
Thanks again,
Sid
Ashley,

Thanks for the encouragement again.  I have not really thought about how I will keep myself motivated to stick with the program.  I am considering joining the group you will be having here on line.  I would need to know what day of the week it will be held on so that if I am out camping I can try to find a koa rv park to stay in on that day being that most of them have wifi so I can still get on line and connect with the group. When we are in the state parks or primitive areas we can not get a signal for our cell phone or  use our lap top.  I would really like to join the weekly group if possible.  I have found that when I was in a support group for grief it really helped me a lot it probably saved my life. If you or any one has any suggestions on how to stay motivated and stick with the program please let me know.  I am very excited about getting well.
I was able to do my 3 goals today which is a major achievement.  Now I just need to keep sticking to it till it becomes a habit.  Then I will be able to set more goals.  This whole idea of goal setting is new to me.  I like it.

Thank you all for the help
Sid

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sid, I think it's awesome- the program, the sessions, the support, and the insight we learn about ourselves.  I also think it's awesome thta you've decided to work through the program!  I hope it helps you as much as it does me. 
Beautiful!  There are so many possibilities!  Enjoy this new chapter!

How will you be keeping yourself motivated to stick with the program?

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley,

Thanks for the encouragement this morning.  In answer to your question about what pushed me to start the program. 
I  think the fact that I am 55 yrs old and have spent around 3/4 of my life dealing with this depression and the anxiety that it causes or vice versa and the fact that I have become more house bound because of it has really pushed me to take the action of starting this program.  I feel I have nothing to lose at this point and maybe a lot to gain like peace, serenity and happiness.  I would really like to be able to enjoy the time I have left in the final chapter of my life.  I want to get up in the morning feeling good and looking forward to my days ahead.   I also wanted to tell  you that when you talked about trying new things and seeing what happens I decided to go on a trip to death valley to see the 49 ers.  I did not know if I would like the trip or not but I went anyway like your suggested.  I enjoyed this trip and that would not have been possible with out the help of this program.  So in essence I feel the same way about starting this program.  I do not know if it will help me but if I don't give it a try and my all I will never know if I could have gotten better and enjoyed the rest of my life.  I feel I have gotten help already from just coming here and reading posts and participating.

Thanks for opening up my eyes to the possibilities

Sid
Great work Sid! 

The activity tracker can be very helpful so stick with it!  It might be a good idea for you to join our program walk through. With the help of a group we will be working through each session.

What pushed you to start the program now?

Ashley, Health Educator
I just got brave enough to start the program after being here for almost a year.  I am doing my activity tracker this morning and find that I am very depressed in the morning.  I already knew this but seeing it on paper is a little disturbing.  I have set some goals for myself that are very basic for most people but hard for me. Anyway I guess it is about time that I faced this depression once and for all even though I find it very scary.  I might even get better.  Wish me luck

Sid

Reading this thread: