Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Work stress

16 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've struggled with letting go of the work day, and the crap I put up with from the other people I work with, not the clientele. Something that my counsellor suggested was to walk in the house, immediately strip off my clothes and get in the shower to wash the work day away. She also suggested that if I didn't have a uniform (which I don't, but you might) that there should be clothing that I only wear to work and never during my off work hours. It hasn't completely worked, but I certainly am more calm when I get out of the shower and feel clean and fresh. Sometimes I cook my dinner in my pjs if I don't have to be somewhere else! I've been through CBT before, and if there's one thing I have to remember it's that it's all about changing what you do, and not about trying to force change in how you feel. I cannot think my way into better action, so I have to act my way into better thinking.
17 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Molly11.. boy you really did a great job at describing how I used to feel at work everyday! your words brought back memories.. I have been working on my depression for over 3 years. Mostly good days now but still some struggles. I do not work with patients but I work with people, most of them crying or yelling I see them at their worst and they come to me when they need help, or to vent, sometimes with other motives. It is my job to listen and to try to support them but it can be very challenging as some times the voice in my head says "stop complaining! things could be worse.. you do not know how good you have it and it could always be much worse!' but of course I cannot say that. oh ya, I forgot to say I work in Human Resources... so I see and hear everything whether I want to or not. That being said, one thing that really has helped me over the years is to recognize because I deal with negativity all day long, I really have to conscienciously (I can't spell :)focus on positives when I can at work and when I am home. No newspapers, no watching the news, only funny positive books and tv and also buying myself fresh flowers and choosing to spend time with people that I really enjoy. When things were at the worst my doctor wanted to "put me off work" I too said I could not be away. I have worked very hard to keep doing my job but not letting it kill me.
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What about weekends? How about down time after work. Start to take some days for yourself and relax after work. Use relaxation techniques before bed such a stretching, yoga, pilates or even a hot bath. By easing into sleep, you can start the day fresh. Try getting yourself more organized and use lists, focus on the task at hand and accomplish what you started out to do. Give yourself a reward when you succeed. Rewards can be a good book, ice cream cone, favorite T.V. Show etc. Keep Strong, Josie ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Josie, Thanks for your response... but I don't think I'm having "anxious thoughts." I only have anxiety when I'm extremely depressed, and I think there is a self-protective quality to it... a fear of being in a situation that is not a good one to be in while depressed... i.e., being at work getting screamed at by meth addicts. The anxiety usually tells me that I'm in a situation that I can't just power through and that I need some space and time for self-care. It is just that I live paycheck to paycheck and am wondering how to give myself some time off and make it work somehow.
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Molly, These kinds of problems can also affect the severity of your Depression on a day-to-day day basis. Just the same, if things in your life are going relatively well, your symptoms will probably seem to get better. Take the time to challenge those anxious thoughts. You may also want to take our anxiety test to help assess the whole situation better. Please go to [url=http://www.paniccenter.net ]www.paniccenter.net [/url] to take this test. We are always here for you and you can do this. Start the day fresh and really take the time to go through the program slowly. Many members have advised that it was very helpful :) Josie ____________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am really struggling with being able to function at work. I work in a stressful environment, with Chemical Dependency inpatients. Last night, many of the patients were very irritable and demanding and were taking their frustrations out on me. When I'm this depressed, I have such a thin skin, and just can't deal in a healthy way with this kind of thing. Whenever I got back to the nurses desk (away from the patients) I would start crying. I got so anxious, and I felt myself starting to decompensate... I was getting confused and disoriented, could barely talk, kept dropping things and knocking things over. The obvious answer would be "Take time off work," and I did call in today. But I'm not in a financial position to take more than a few days off. (My paid vacation and sick time are all in the same pool, and its pretty much gone for the year.)But I'm obviously not helping myself or the patients when I'm going to work feeling this depressed. Has anyone else struggled with this?

Reading this thread: