Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,649 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO

No right to be depressed

8 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Evening Reed, I'm super brand new here, and while perusing the other introductions I read yours and wanted to let you know that I feel for you. I also feel like I have no right to be depressed. The more that people point out how much I have that's good in my life, the more I feel like I need to retreat. Anyway, just wanted to say Hi
8 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Reed,

It is hard to say if this is depression. You might want to try taking the http://wb-dat.net screener for more information on depression assessment. However, for a proper diagnosis you will need to talk to a doctor for an assessment. Individuals with ADD often have other co-occuring mental health concerns, with depession being one of them. ADD can make life a lot more difficult and even annoying like you mentioned .Taking medication can be helpful for ADD. Therapy is also important, I have read a lot of evidence that CBT is very helpful for ADD. CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) is also the gold standard treatment for depression. This program is CBT based and used for depression (not ADD though) it will likely be helpful for you to read through it. 

I find the term realistic is often used when we are depressed. When we are depressed our thoughts can seem very real and even logical. You will find though when learning about CBT that a lot of the thoughts we have when depressed are often illogical. But perhaps illogical is the wrong word to use - I would say our thoughts when we are depressed are often unhelpful. The key to CBT is chosing a new way of thinking that serves you. We can change our perspective and thoughts and this directly effects our mood. It can take systematic effort that takes time but a change in perspective really can make a HUGE difference. Of course I am over simplifying this immensely but I hope you understand my point.

What are your thoughts on all this?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi folks:
I am a 62 year old elementary Phys. Ed. teacher. I am extremely healthy; a very successful competitive tennis player, do comedy improv and acting, own my home and am loved by my students. If you were to ask me what I want out of life, I would say the answer is the question. I wake up every morning profoundly disappointed...that I woke up. I take Adderall each day to deal with my ADD.  I don't really feel depressed just not in love with life enough to put up with the normal hassles like bills, getting up at 6:30 for work or any major annoyance that might come along like a serious illness, financial setback or major problem at work. I feel like I'm living on borrowed time before something major comes along. I am divorced and have noone to share my life with. Is this depression or am I just being realistic?

Reading this thread: