Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,528 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Hello there- an intro

8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Coppersky,

I must say, similar to what I said in another post to you, I think it is inspiring to see how hard you have worked on your health. You have found a lot of things that seem to be helping and you are still trying to add to that list. Great work! I hope a part of your mindfulness practice is taking time to be fully aware of how far you have come and how much hard work you have put into this. You are one strong and determined individual to keep striving for better overall health. 

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI  - I wish i had found this site ages ago! I have been living with depression and anxiety symptoms since I was an adolescent, though it didn't getting diagnosed as such till my late 20's.  I have now had at least two major depression episodes; i wasn't effectively treated after the first one. I think I have a degree of dysthymia pretty much all the time. I have found effexor keeps the weepy spells and intense hopelessness at bay, but still really struggle with motivation.  To complicate matters, a couple of yrs ago I was diagnosed with a genetic disorder, the symptoms of which i have also been living with all my life. It didn't get diagnosed because it mimics a number of other disorders, but none exactly.  it MAY be the underlying cause of my depression although at the same time I was diagnosed with ADD (also possible connected to this disorder) and have found the combination of concerta with the effexor really helpful.  Fromdoing my own research, i understand depression can be a "side effect" of ADD, given the many frustrations and shear exhaustion involved in trying to focus with a galaxy of thoughts bouncing around in your head! I thought that was normal...I use mindfulness techniques to help keep me grounded in reality and have benefitted a LOT from CBT.  I also find keeping myself engaged in activities i enjoy - even if i have to drag myself out - is helpful. and i have a dog and cats, which are so soothing, and force me to get out of bed! My dog get s me out walking as well, which has been extremely helpful, even though walking is sometimes difficult physically.  

Reading this thread: