Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

My family is falling apart

14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are not alone.......Ive had the same problem with my boyfriend of 6 years. My depression and my "dealing" with it, has driven a wedge between us also. I am here for help, as I'm sure you are too. Don't give up. I don't blame you for being scared. I was divorced after 13 years, probably in part because of my depression and "coping" or lack thereof. It's very scary to think of how you are going to take care of your kids etc. But! You make it! I promise, you make it!!!! Hang in there!!!! One day at a time :)
14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Relleum,

Sounds like you've been through a lot in the past couple months, and it is understandable that you are feeling down. It seems like the biggest issue at the moment is the relationship with your husband. Have you talked to him about how you are feeling? Has he expressed to you what specific issues he feels are affecting your relationship? Like you said, he may be feeling depressed himself. Perhaps you could read through the Relationship section of the program (section 13) and it might give you some ideas or tools that you could use when speaking with your husband. 
Members, what do you think? Have you been in a similar situation? What are your thoughts?

You can and will get through this. Please stay close, and keep us posted on how you are doing.
We're always here for you,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI,
My depression is kinda tearing my family apart also. They don't understand why I can't do anything and why I'm not better. I hope everything works out for you with your family. Its hard for anyone without depression to understand how we feel. I'm tired all the time but I can't sleep until I take my PM meds. I try to help out but I get tired real easy.
Good luck!
Lori
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know where it started, but I can't help but think that my depression is the cause.  When I had my first bad depressive episode, my husband and I were dating.  I remember him staying up all night while I cried and spending hours just holding me.  This attention was too much, but greatly appreciated.  I felt like he really wanted to understand how I was feeling and make me feel better.  Now, 14 years later, the trying to understand has become trying to hide his annoyance when I start to feel down.  I cannot help but feel I have put a huge wedge between us with my depression and I do not know how to remove it.  

I feel like in order to really explain my feelings, I need to tell you the whole story, so I apoligize for the long-winded post.  Recently, my life has turned a bit upside down.  I had reconstructive surgery on my ankle and was on bedrest/crutches for 7 weeks.  During this time, my children went across the country to spend a month with their grandparents, leaving just myself and my husband at home.  I could not do much, as I could not move easily, so I felt I had to rely on my husband for everything.  I really struggled during this time, as I was completely bored and lonely.  When my children returned, my parents came to spend a week with us.  This is always very stressful for my husband, but this time it felt like it was too much.

My parents left the same day I got off crutches, and I began to feel much better with mobility.  Less than a week later, my husband told me he does not think he is still in love with me and is uncertain if our relationship is worth hanging onto.  This is the most hurtful thing that he has ever said to me.  I feel like I have been cut off at the knees.  The large step away from depression I took with mobility was pushed back with this conversation.  I cannot help but think that my recent down feelings when I was basically confined to my home is the cause of his lack of interest in me.  I do know that he is in a very stressful job at the moment, and I wonder if he is feeling a bit depressed himself.  I got very angry with him after he told me all of this and I could just watch him shut down.  I feel he is cutting me out of his life and I don't know how to handle this.  He has not left, nor has he said that he wanted to.

Quite frankly, I am scared.  I am scared to be on my own.  I am scared of how my children will feel if we break up. And I am scared that I will not be able to pull myself out of the depression that I feel myself spiraling into.  I am having horrible thoughts about the future and can't stop thinking that I have ruined everything good in my life because of my depression.  I just don't know how much longer I can feel like this.

Reading this thread: