Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Still alive

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nothingleft,

Good to hear from you again. How is your progress with the program going?

The psts are a bit confusing, I agree. When you go to the Forums page, on the lefthand side are the different categories. You initially posted under "Introduce Yourself". If you want to continue on that thread that you started, click there, and look down the list of various threads, then click on the title of the thread that you began. I encourage you to browse through the various topics and threads as you will learn much and find others who have been where you are. There are many supportive folks here, happy and willing to help!

How are you doing today?

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m
Just wanted to thank you for responding--I cannot figure out how to post to the forums--its frustrating--if the spirit moves you could you please read my latest blog? it is interesting that it happened on the day that you asked how I was doing--befor I had a chance to answer--disaster struck as explained on the blog.  I am also 52 female and I seem to always forget my train of thought when distracted.  Few things I like better than hours of uninterrupted time to complete one thought/task after another. Thanks again for reaching out.  May I include you as a buddy?  Thanks.
NothingLeft_000
13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey BSD..  When I read your "truths" I find them really overwhelming and anxiety provoking.  I just bring that up because I'm just now learning how closely depression and anxiety are linked.  I never knew.  Maybe I'm projecting my own stuff onto you, but it sure seems like you should maybe check out the Evolution Health Panic Center.  Taking those tests are eye-opening.  AND, I wish someone had suggested I look at the anxiety years  ago... decades ago!  I never knew.
13 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Truths about me.....hmmmmm.....
 I'm lonely, isolated...a misfit. I'm egocentric...I see things like a child would....from my own perspective...and can't imagine anything I have not already seen and done myself. I have really bad spatial perception hence I am clumsy and accident prone. This causes a lot of fear. I don't want to DO things. I can tell someone else how to do something for me, but I can't actually do it myself. Hubby says I act like a princess....because I don't DO anything physical myself...I expect someone else to do it...like I am too good to do physical labour. I'm a paper pusher...tons of lists, records, documentation. I put everything in print. My life is document in a photo book. If I don't have a photo of it, it never happened. I'm a subtle adrenaline junkie. I don't do dangerous stunts for the rush, I am too accident prone to dare try that, but I can not sit still. I often work multiple jobs, and usually have a course of study on the go, I sign up for every activity that catches my fancy. I don't want to miss anything. I am constantly racing around with my schedule sooooo packed that I need to book time to pee and bathe! When I force msyelf to stop and just relax....like lay in a bubble bath...I get agitated, annoyed. It is not relaxing at all. It is like elevator music or someone scraping fingernails down a chalkboard. I don't drink coffee for coffee....I use it as a drug to keep me going when I tire. If I feel like I am burning out I medicate with chocolate LOL.
Hmmm...strong, compassionate and articulate? Thanks. I guess I would have to be somewhat strong to still be here...lol. And I love my family. I am desperate to please them, but hubby complains I am not very comforting or nurturing. But I definitely can't stand to see them suffer or do without. I take from myself to make sure they get what they want. Articulate? Hm...too smart for my own good! LOL School is easy....so I keep doing it. I love to learn. I love to read. I love to know stuff! My appetite for knowledge is insatiable.But it also alienates me. As I want to discuss my new discoveries with others and there are not many people around me capable or interested in the same as me. In fact, they laugh at me. And call me over-analytical. I don't watch a movie just to be entertained. I break it apart into themes, messages and like to discuss the philosophies presented in the film but nobody else saw any of that. It makes me feel outcast and alone.
Other truths about me...hmmm...
I'm over-critical...of myself and others. It is hard to live up to my standards. My son started public school in Sept 2010 (he was homeschooled for high school but went to school for his last year to get a diploma). He got mostly 80+ on his first report card except for French as a First Language and Math given in French (he was taught in English at home but public school is all in French). The average class mark for French was 65. He got 64. For math, I taught cultural and social math (basic math) but he signed up for technological math which required basic knowledge of a lot of formulas and symbols he had never seen before so he failed the first term. Anyway, he was upset that I was angry at his report card. He thought he did great but I KNOW he could do better. He just doesn't care. He just wants to meet girls and get a diploma. He doesn't care about actually getting good marks or learning anything. He only does enough to get what he needs. He doesn't have a work ethic. Or maybe I have TOO MUCH work ethic. I am always "at work".
I dunno....here I am rambling...and not actually answering your question about what truths I see about myself. You can tell my depressive episode is coming. I can feel it. I am irritable, whiny, craving sugar and stimulants, impatient, drained, tired, etc. I can feel an attack coming...maybe in the
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brightsunnyday,

First I have to say you are not your depression.  You may say and do things you would not normally due because of the depression.  This does not make you a jerk - this thought needs to be challenged.  Doing something that is less then nice does not make anyone wrong, they may have made a wrong choice but that does not make them wrong.

You may need to work on behaviour but you yourself is not bad.  From the few posts I have read from you it is clear you are a strong, compassionate and articulate women, those are the truths I see.  What do you see about yourself?

Ashley, Health Educator
Guess my "distant" family really should not get an opinion. My parents, my brothers etc. hardly know me. I have not seen my Dad for about 3 years. the last I saw my brothers was at a funeral about 5 years ago. So I guess they really don't know me. But my husband knows me very well....and still does things for me sometimes despite the fact he knows what a pain I am. He is actually one of the most critical of me, but also one of the most praising. A lot of those negative thoughts....about me being a jerk...really are true....according to him...and he can give examples to prove it! I really did do all the things he said. So that is why challenging the negative thoughts was so upsetting. The negative things about me are real!!!

PS I have had less depressive attacks since I wrote that post...in fact, that was the last one. But my cycle dictates I will go insane in the near future....
13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brightsunnyday... I too am sorry you are having such a rough time.  Sounds like you understand the ebb and flow of the despair which is actually pretty good to be able to hold onto that awareness when you are in the midst of it.  Also, I just want to share with you that in my experience,  family members are absolutely the very LAST PEOPLE to understand or know the truth about us.  Who does know you well (and compassionately)?
~m

13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi brightsunnyday,

Sounds like you're going through a rough time now. During this difficult time, be kind and gentle with yourself. Lack of concentration is a common when you are experiencing depression. As your depression lifts, your concentration will return.

You're doing the program which is fantastic. Also you know that your moods follow your menstrual cycle. During the menstrual cycle women experience a change in hormones, which has an effect a woman's moods. Its great that you've been able to identify this.

I encourge you to continue challenging your negative thoughts, it is a process. Your family may think they are true, but do you believe they are?

Helena, Health Educator
Well, I am still alive. But not feeling any better. I have been making Thought Records for weeks and challenging my negative thoughts but it makes me even more depressed when my negative thoughts are actually TRUE! At least they are true according to my family....
I don't feel like I am having any progress, but as I have no other place to go I am continuing with the program. Hopefully, the "right" thing for me is just around the corner. Today was a bad day. I could barely stop crying. I could not think. I stuttered a lot, nearly crashed my car, burnt myself...I just can't concentrate at all. But I know it will clear up a bit tomorrow (my depression follows my menstrual cycle) but I am so tired of this always happening. I want it to be over.

Reading this thread: