Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,514 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

SAD Light Therapy

14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks so much.  I will absolutely keep you updated.

I have been using daylight bulbs for some time and although they are not intended to give the same affect as the correct SAD therapy, I feel they have helped.  The light is more radiant and pleasing to be in rather than the normal 'yellow' light.

Will keep this thread uptodate!

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whatkatydid,
I'm glad you found something you think will benefit you.  I look forward to hearing the results.  After looking at the Dawn Simulator you liked; I couldn't believe the prices were not as high as they used to be.  Definitely more affordable and you can just buy lightbulbs to put in existing lamps.  I went to manufactorers site.  It of course just gives the lighting not the simulating effects.  lol, expensive lightbulbs.  But more affordable for those who can't afford the higher priced boxes, simulators etc. 
Again, I look forward to hearing the results!!!!!!!

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whatkatydid,

Thank you so much for posting this educational information!  This is a great explanation and can really help others understand this type of therapy. 

You can always Ebay or Kiji for a less expensive light?

Members, any ideas to assist?

Josie, Health Educator
UPDATE

Just found some great information on the NHS web site! Quite like the idea of a 'Dawn simulator'!

How does light therapy work?

You should begin using light therapy treatment in autumn or as soon as your symptoms begin. Sit a metre away from the box, facing the light but do not look directly at it. You may need to spend anything from 30 minutes to three hours in front of the box, depending on the strength of the light that it emits. Carry on with everyday tasks, such as reading, eating or working and use the therapy at a time which is convenient for you. However, it is best to avoid using it late in the evening, as it could make it difficult to get to sleep.

Most people will notice that symptoms improve after three to four days. However, in other people it can take up to six weeks before they begin to notice a difference. If light therapy has not worked after using it for six weeks then it is probably not a suitable type of treatment for you.

How do I get light therapy?

Light boxes are not currently available on the NHS. If you contact a SAD support group or organisation, such as the Seasonal Affective Disorder Association, they should be able to give you a list of suppliers. Boxes normally start at £100. There are a range of products available; for example, light visors that shine bright light into your eyes through a portable device fitted into a visor, and dawn stimulators that are usually connected to an alarm clock and mimic sunrise, allowing you to wake up gradually.

It is very important that you do not use home-made light units, tanning lights or tanning beds as a form of light therapy. They are not designed for use with SAD and usually emit a high level of UV rays, which can seriously damage your skin and eyes.

Before undertaking light therapy, it is best to visit your GP to discuss what type of therapy would be best for you. Your GP will be able to give you advice on how you should be using this type of treatment and will also be able to advise you on what to do should you suffer from any kind of side effects.

Although light therapy very rarely affects your vision, if you are using it on a regular basis then it is important that you tell your optician. You should also ensure that you have an eye test at least once a year. If you have existing eye problems it is best that you talk to your GP or optician before undertaking any form of light treatment to ensure it does not aggravate your condition in any way.

Hello my lovelies,

Could anyone possibly recommend a good lightbox because I've been on google for an hour yet and am no closer to knowing a good brand and of course - knowing what to pay.  If I get a cheap one - does that mean less quality?  What do I need to look for in a SAD lamp?

Any help would be SO appreciated - this is all so new to me and all the information is so overwhelming!

Reading this thread: