Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

effexor

14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Honestly I think the side effect would be different to different people.  I took Zoloft (50 mg) for three years, then decided to weaned it off due to weight gain and hoped to be able to wean off meds completely.  I had awful dizziness while weaning it off for a few months, and after completely off it, my depression was back full force.  I tried Sam-e and accupuncture to no avail.  Out of desperation, I asked my doc to put me back on Zoloft since it worked well except for the weight gain, and sleepiness at the end of it (maybe the last 6 months of those 3 years).  Back on Zoloft for 8 weeks I didn't feel any change, even felt that it got worse.  I didn't want to up the Zoloft mgs, so I asked my doc to put me on something else.  I am now on 50 mg Pristiq, and I didn't even have to weaned the Zoloft, I just changed the next day with Zoloft.  I am now at week 3 of Pristiq and feel better emotionally (feel excited about stuff I haven't been since the depression's back, like: feel motivated to get up and do household chores, going out with friends, shopping), except I have this dizziness and a couple of times, I was so sleepy in the evening I slept for 12 hours (which I will see if it doesn't stop when I get back for follow-up check-up in 10 days with my doc).

I agree with goofy that we should weigh the benefit of taking medications vs the side effect/cost.  Hopefully you will find one that the benefits would outweigh the side effects.  I too, hate to change medications, or to think that I'd need to be on medications for the rest of my life.  I've heard that after years taking anti depressant, the people I know (or people on the internet) go through different kinds of not-so-good side effects or the meds stop working.  But for now, I don't want to feel depressed and not enjoying life, and not having suicidal thoughts (that's what made me want to be back on meds, because these thoughts scare the heck out of me).  I am only in my 40s with two kids, and would like to enjoy 30+ more years of my life without having to commit suicide or something bad like it...  I'm hoping that the dizziness etc will subside...

All the best wishes to you...
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hate having to change meds.  Especially if it's quiting one completely and then starting another one.  It means I'm going to go down somewhere in there. 

I took Effexor for three years.  The only side effect it had with me is a thing called brain shivers.  I found that if I took my medication at the exact (stress exact) same time every day they did not occur.  Now they did occur as I was coming off the medication, but stopped.  I liked effexor and think it helped me.  I was taking 375 mg.  I did not have any horrible withdrawal symptoms.  It quit being as effective and my pdoc thought I should change medications.   

I think how much you need to take of a specific medication for it to be effective can also impact the side effects of medications (I don't tknow this, just an opinion). 

I also think if we read the side effects of any medication (for any illness) that we wouldn't take any of them.  I think of it in terms of cost-benefit ratio.  I also look at the percentage of people who reported that particular side effect.  You can also read what the FDA says about medications (a good source of research on the medications).  ALthough it doesn't say where you are from, you probably have a comparable agency if you don't live in the US.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi sixflags,

Thanks for sharing. You can discuss the potential side effects of medication with your doctor or pharmacist, they will be able to tell you more specific answers.

Members, what have your experiences been with changing medications and coming off of medications?

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey everyone, just got changed from zoloft to effexor.  have weaned off zoloft and currently at 37.5 mg effexor for another couple days, than bump up to 75mg.  hard thing i'm finding is the come down off it, reading some HORRIBLE tales, and am wondering if i should stop it before i have to change.  i've never been through withdrawl, but people are sayin' it's almost as bad as a heroin addict.  i'm hopin' this is a good med for me... but... i don't know.  any help or guidance would be good.  thanx for all you guys do and say!

SixFlags

Reading this thread: