Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

depakote

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

That all sounds so great, it may take some time to get around to doing all of those things; however, the plans are in the works which is half the battle. The wii will be a great little addition to your place, good idea on getting the son to come by and show you how to use it, those machines can be quite complicated at times. Getting in a bit of exercise will likely help give you a boost of energy. It sounds like you are a someone who enjoys having living plants, you can go to the garden store and even ask them to suggest plants that require less maintenance (some only need to be watered every few days..etc). One day at a time goofy.

We are here for you, also thank you for you ongoing contribution.

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Samantha, I think I've discussed the condition I've let my house get into as a result of not taking care of things.  I've taken some positive steps to get things better here in the house.  I've got someone coming to look at a broken window that needs to be replaced. 
I was talking to my boss yesterday and as she needs something "to do" this winter, she said she'd come and help me (volunteer) with the floors, painting, etc.)  Sooo, not only do I have something to do this winter.  I have someone to come help me (will also help with motivation and making myself get up to do it) and will love the changes and knowing it's looking better all the time. 
My house was like an atrium, but I lost several plants when I wasn't home during dad's illness.  Anyway, I'm working to replace those and it's filling up again.  I love plants and I do water those most of the time on a regular basis.
I've been thinking about  the sunlight for four years, done lots of reserach, just haven't done it.  I don't know about thta one.

My friend did come here one weekend to visit and we spent two days getting my kitchen cleaned out, getting some of the inheritied stuff put in the cabinets and taking stuff off to a donation center.  Cleaned it from top to bottom.  I've been able to maintain that for over 3 weeks now!  I let it get cluttered for two days but NOT dirty.  And I decluttered it. 

I got my dvd player and a new Tai Chi video - I started yesterday.  My son is going to come today and set up the Wii and show me how to operate it. 

I'm doing things to help myself.  It just takes so much energy(mental) to do anything some days. 

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

Get that Wii up and running, there are few things better than a video game that provides you with exercise! Keep up with those social activities and visiting your friend. If you can't justify purchasing a sunlight (I think the majority of them tend to be quite expensive) how about getting a poster of a sunny beach, or a garden of flowers. When you look at the poster it will make you smile, fill your living space with plants if it isn't already. We are here for you goofy, you are such an inspiration and big part of this support group.

How would sprucing up your living space effect on how you feel?

Samantha, Health Educator
I'm still working in the landscaping business and not back in an office.  So I'm getting out of the house - when it isn't raining - though I'd rather hibernate (hate saying that when Canada gets alot more cold weather than we do).  But I don't like what WE get. 
I bought a Wii instead of repairing my treadmill though I still may do that.  Now if I can get over the electronically challenged part of me and/or get some help to set the dern thing up.....I'll use it.
With the weather like it is, I'm not working as much.  I've also been spending more time at home because my son has most of the renovations done on his home and I've not been helping them.  I have been traveling to where my friend lives 2.5 hours away and also involved in some social activities.  I make myself not turn them down which is difficult at times.
Thinking about the year anniversary of dad's death (Nov. 22nd), US Thanksgiving Nov. 26th, and Christmas.  I'd just soon skip them except for the granddaughter aspect. :) 
I think you are right about the light therapy, while I'm on my buying spree (the Wii, which I researched for 10 months before I bought it), I'll check into sunlight therapy.  I understand they are expensive too.  Oh, btw, I only bought the Wii fit program.  lol, I can't research it for 10 months or I guess I could and be ready for winter a year from now!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, that's what is going on with me - just down in the dumps, but still fighting!

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

Keep researching and asking questions.  Please let us know what you find out.

SAD is common this time of year as you know.  Try to spend time outdoors and arrange your environment so you get as much sunlight as possible. Also,  I have known a few people to use sunlight lamps. Talk to your doctor about this type of therapy.

Also, exercise does help with SAD symptoms. So get back to that Tai Chi!    Make sure you are sleeping and eating well.  Has your routine changes very much lately?

Ashley, Health Educator
I went to psychiatrist yesterday.  He wanted to add another medication.  He's very respectful of my opinion in my treatment.  We've discussed my making an informed choice.  So I am going to research some medications.  He wants to use it to augment the lamictal. 
I do think the lamictal is loosing it's effectiveness or it's just getting to be that time of year when the SAD part sets in (my depression always seems worse in the winter).  Anyway, I was reading about it, didn't find anything very good about it, anyone had any success or thoughts or stories to share (successful or unsuccessful). 
I've got a couple of others to check into - this is the one he wanted me to check into first.  I've given up on the diagnosis - at first (after many medication trials) he said treatment resistant depression, but from the meds, it seems to me, he thinks I have bipolar disorder (if that is the case, I don't know of any hypomanic or manic times).  I do have generalized anxiety disorder and I do get anxious but usually can put a finger on the cause of the overwhelming anxiety.  No panic attacks in about 2 years give or take. 
It also seems he doesn't seem to consider the hormonal aspect and the gynecologist doesn't seem to consider the depression aspect.  I've been diagnosed with PCOS.  You'd think, knowing a side effect is depression, that the two would somehow combine in tx with one doctor or the other. 
Anyway,  I'm a bit frustrated.  With the broken treadmill and not having a dvd player for the Tai Chi (both fixed yesterday - see a potential cause and effect there?) I hope I can call him and say - forget it! 
Anyway, looking for feedback on depakote or other issues I've surfaced. 

Reading this thread: