Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Effexor

18 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was on effexor for 10 years with success.I usually took 112mgs most of the time.During rough times I went to 150mgs and added .5 klonopin for a week or two.In 2004 I did something stupid with my Psych's supervision.I switched to 10mgs of Lexapro hoping for less sexual side effects.Lexapro worked pretty good but still caused sexual side effects.So last march I decided to go back to effexor.I felt overall it helped me better than lexapro which made me tired.Guess what;I can't get the effexor to work again.I went up to 187mg which was all I could handle along with 1mg of klonopin.My mornings are horrible causing stomach upset.than I start feeling good about 5pm.Now I'm weaning off the effexor with the help of Lexapro but i'm extremely tired again.My schrink thinks i should try something different and is recommending paxil cr.I know there's no magic bullet out there and this trail and error is really rough.What I fail to mention was during the last year the effexor did help me on and off.I would have 8 good days than 5 bad days.Any one out there had A simular experience and has any advice.
18 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i was prescribed effexor over a year ago and it seemed ok for awhile then i got headaches and got crabby. make sure if you ever go off it todo it slowly. i got really sick and nauseous. my memory is no longer what it used to be. i think the stuff is addicitive for the body and mine. well i wish you better luck on the stuff. hope all is well.
18 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rayne, I don't remember if I shared or not, but I started having those yawning spells as well, but not till I started taking Buspar about one week ago or so. I feel like I can't catch my breath, not enough oxygen going to my brain. I asked my doctor about this and he confirmed that when this happens it is due to insufficient oxygen and that is my body's way of taking in more. I even think I feel more anxious with the medication, but I need to wait to see if it goes away, if not I'll probably stop taking it. I really enjoyed talking with you and all your input and support. If you go on CBT later tonight or whatever time zone you are in, I'll try to sign in as well. Right now it is around 10 am on Saturday. Last night was pretty rough time for me, how about you? I stayed up real late for me that is till around 1:30 am. I called the crisis hotline, but after someone got on the phone and I inquired whether it was anonymous or not, I didn't feel comfortable speaking with the person, so I did not discuss how I felt at the time. I don't know what happened yesterday that triggered me to feel suicidal, but I was so afraid and scared that I just went to sleep. I saw my therapist yesterday and felt worse after I left. Too many things to think about and make decisions about that it triggered those irrational thoughts. I am sorry that I can't be more uplifting for you and others right now, but I am in a bad space in my head. I am still waiting for the medication to take away those morbid thoughts, and feel out of control when they don't stop. If I could have felt safe enough to reach out without fear, I would have probably talked to the crisis counselor and expect to be hospitalized last night. But I made it through another tough night somehow and I am going to try to be positive today and share how I feel with at least you. See you later I hope, Take care and God bless you
18 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just thought I would give an update here. I met with my Dr. a couple day ago and he has opted to take me off of Effexor and put me on Cipralex 5mg instead. I had been on Cipralex 10mg the month before the Effexor but I was wickedly irritable and B!&@#Y! This time around though with the lower dose I don't seem irritable. It's really nice feeling slightly normal again (even if it is due to drugs). I have my fingers crossed that this is the start of recovery. Only problem on this drug is I cannot stop YAWNING! :8o: Is anyone else taking a Wellbutrin/Cipralex cocktail? What are your results so far?
Thanks for the information everyone. I have only been on it for about a month now. I am also on 300mg of Wellbutrin which in the beginning was fantastic (I've been on it for about 5 years now). Now it just doesn't seem to help, I am going to ask my Dr. if I can up the dose on Wellbutrin and see if that will help. The thing about the effexor is that at the start I was "stoned" shaky, nauseous, unable to eat, think, I couldn't drive, I was to frightened because I was so out of it. I did talk to my Dr. and he decreased my dosage to one every second day. Which doesn't really feel like it's helping but it isn't making me horribly sick either...which is nice. It's funny how you take your health for granted when it's good. ;p I am feeling better but I am not sure if that is just because it's been a few weeks or the med's are kicking in. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as I am feeling better, Right? Thanks for all your well wishes too.
18 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rayne, I have used effexor for 2 years now and believe it has helped me with no side effects, unless I don't take it, in which case by day 3 I start feeling slightly nauseous and light-headed which are symptoms of withdrawl from my understanding. I would give youself a good 4 - 6 weeks at a higher dosege before you give up on it. It can really help and make a huge difference in your life. I wouldn't worry about coming off of it either. When the time comes your doctor will gradually decrease your dosage and you should not have any problems. I believe your doctor will (for the most part)confirm what I am saying. Good luck to you! Be Well! gr8fl
18 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rayne, Everyone's body chemistry reacts differently to any kind of medication. Please check with your doctor and/or pharmacist to consult regarding side effects and dosages. Hope this helps, Josie ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I haven't taken Effexor, I think it's the only one I haven't, but a very close friend takes it and she does very well on it, she switched from another SSRI med. Like most of these meds it took some time for her to adjust to it but she is doing very well. You didn't say how long you have been on it, but you should give it some more time. If you feel suicidal, have thoughts of hurting yourself, or someone else then you should contact your psych doctor immediately or a crisis center. I have taken medications where there was very little noticable change in myself for a little while and then had good results. I know it's really hard but try to be patient with yourself and your medications. I know this might sound strange but you might also find that you will do better on almost any of the meds if you believe it will work as opposed to doubting it will. It's a little silly to admit to it but I used to say to myself every night when I took my one med... "I know this will work and I will feel good", it actually helped me. I hope you feel better soon.
18 years ago 0 189 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rayne, I was on Effexor for three months. I too started at 37.5mg and gradually worked my way up ato 300mg. I found Effexor did nothing for me. I really had no side effects but it just didn't work. My doctor kept me on Effexor for 3 months which I felt was way to long. How long have you been on Effexor? Sharon
Does anyone have any input on their experiences with effexor? My Dr. has recently started me on it and after having a horid time with the side effects I am not really noticing any difference in my moods. I just feel dead inside and very unmotivated. Is this normal? How long does it take to start feeling better? I am on a fairly low dose (37.5) but do not want to go higher because of the side effects and the frightful information I've read about coming off this drug....and I will be coming off it...I don't like the way I feel. Any thoughts?

Reading this thread: