Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

making difficult decisions

14 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Samantha, I thought I had replied to you already but I probably didn't. I'm afraid of falling backwards in my progress due to everything I'm going to have to deal with when I get back. Pretty much no one knows why I was in the hospital. Actually the only people that know are my wife and my closest friend. Having to explain which I guess I don't really have to is daunting to me. I have another health issue and everyone assumes that's what happened. I'd like to leave it that way but lieing to everyone when they ask isn't something I'm fond of doing. I'm terribly afraid of going back to square one. Falling apart and ending up back in the hospital. I'm not sure how much I'm capable of in my work or my life.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi fixit,

I am sorry that you are having a hard time making decisions. What is preventing you from going back to work? What is the underlying issue? How could you look at the situation differently?

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm having major problems making the decision to go back to work. One of my biggest problems is not being able to make a decision. My brain just won't let me. I get very confused and just can't commit to doing things. Then I end up isolating myself from everyone and everything and that just makes things worse. I can't seem to get up and get going. I guess I just need to force myself into doing things.
14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs Kat.  Super big hugs.

I was apathetic at first, and then tried to bargain with myself.  Like-- when I get better, then I'll be able to get back to it (meaning doing the same darn things I've been doing).  Doing the same and expecting to get better is what was making me sick.

Am moving to another forum to do a full update.
Deb
14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Deb,

You know what, I was thinking about what you said in this post today and it really got to me more than other days...

Nothing will change unless I make changes.

There has been so many times in my life where I sat around feeling just bummed because nothing was happening. Well in retrospect nothing was happening, because I was not doing anything. You hit the nail on the head when you said that you need to take that first step. Taking that first step is often so hard though. But it's something that we must do...

Kat

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cvdeb,

It takes a lot of courage to take the steps you are taking.  It sounds like you are making a choice that is right for you.  I think you should be very proud of yourself for doing this.  It is not easy to give up something like this but you are doing it for your health and your family.  I can't wait to hear how you enjoy your extra time!  You deserve to be happy Deb.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nothing will change unless I make changes.....

I realized that I was hoping that the medication, posting, working the program, and reading was proactive enough.  But now I realize that I really do need to make some bigger changes.  I'm a little better for sure, but still struggling.

Epiphanies are great things :)  That old lightbulb resparked slowly at first, and then was finally glowing over my sad head.  Working two jobs, raising a little boy by myself.  It's too much.  And because of my tendencies to think that I can always do more than I actually can, I understand that I need to break this lifelong pattern.

The really hard part is that I love both of my jobs (for different reasons).  The agency I started, and my work with seniors (that's the job with the understanding boss).  She called me yesterday and gave me a raise, changed my title, and gave me a staff (I was running the program by myself).  This is the same woman who is allowing me to not worry about work until the 15th, and has only given me one specific project to deal with.

Of course the dilemma is letting go of my own business that is doing well-- that I put my blood sweat and tears into.  That I love very much.  But it is night work that I do after I do my other job.

My children are suffering, I'm suffering, and after many tears that were more about grief than depression, I decided that that is the program I need to let go of.  Dealing with perpetrators is also contributing to my depression because I'm surrounded by a lot of neediness and negativity.

Anguish describes the past few days as I've struggled with this decision.  My income will drop incredibly, but I'll also lose a lot of expenses that I had to make to keep the agency going.  The raise will offset it a bit.  I won't have to pay for as much childcare and can be there for my kids.  Maybe I can even take a walk once-in-awhile, paint a picture, tickle some toes.

Maybe there will be no more snapping that "I'm busy!" when my kids need something.  I might even be able to daydream instead of just handling many pressing issues and collapsing into bed.

I'm a little scared about the financials, but I've really weighed out the pro's and cons.  And for anyone who cares, I still haven't smoked!

I will end this letter as I began it: Nothing will change unless I make changes.

xo to all of you.
deb

Reading this thread: