Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Myth and Fact

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi rose,
I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing anxiety in these social situations. You should take a look at the 14th step in the toolbox. This section deals with social anxiety and social difficulties.  
What you are experiencing is very serious but there is good news. The techniques in this program can really help you in dealing with this.
How have things been going the past few days?

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know how to cover up or hide my anxiety in social situation. I avoid most social situations. I will go out to dinner with one or two friends, but will not go to crowded places or social events that will have a lot of people even if I know most of the people (such as a work parties).  I know avoiding these events just adds to my anxiety because then I will have to answer all the questions at work about why I was not there. But it easier to deal with one or two people at a time rather than an entire room.

14 years ago 0 11221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

You are not crazy.  Some people find it very hard to understand mental illiness. In a way, unless you expereince it, it can be hard to completely understand.  Try to be patient with him and try to communicate openly, without getting defensive. How do you think you could make him understand what you are going through?  Possibly if he did some research he would have a better understanding?  Any other suggestions?

That situation must have been hard for you.  I wish we were right there with you.  From now on, know that you can always come here and we will listen and help as much as we can.

Ashley, Health Educator

I feel embarrassed about my anxiety as well. I too don't want anyone to know about it at all.  No one but my mother gives me any support when I need it.  I recently had a serious episode that followed with uncontrolable anger and resentment to my husband for leaving me alone.  My husband was upset with me and told me I was crazy and over reacting.  I spent the next day in bed sobbing.  Refusing to leave or see anyone.  My husband only hurt me more by staying out on the beach with his friends instead of trying to understand what I was going through.  He thought it would be rude to ask people to come up to our place on the beach and then just leave them out there while he staying inside with me.  Ever since then, I've been the most depressed i've been in months. a real low. why do people treat us like its nothing? are we crazy? 

14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I understand aswell. 

I hate being anxious in social situations people look at me like I am crazy.

How do you cover up your anxiety in social situations?  I find this tough; i think it really contributes to my depression and low self esteem.

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rose, I can so relate to what you are saying.  I hate it when I get anxious and I seem to get anxious (at times) with the slightest provocation.  Other things seem to consume me.  The things that consume me is out right fear.  I don't like this emotion shining through either.  It's something I try to work through mentally , but always know I have an anti-anxiety medication if I can't work through it.  I hate when I have to take those, though I know it is a belief that I need to work on - it's okay, if I need it, as long as I'm moving forward. I've posted in another forum about my anxiety over my home and a relationship (fear of rejection).  I don't usually need meds over these types of things, however it's the one's with the slightest provocations that hit me hard and fast.

I am very embarrassed about my anxiety. I don't want anyone to know how bad it gets sometime. I know it is a medical condition, but that is not how I am treated when trying to get help for anxiety. I am treated as if I am crazy, or looking for attention.  Even my roommate walks on eggs shells around me when I show an anxiety at all.
14 years ago 0 11221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Dear members,

Myth: Anxiety disorders aren’t real illnesses.
Fact: Anxiety disorders are real and serious medical conditions, much like physical disorders such as diabetes or heart disease. They may develop from a complex set of biological or environmental risk factors, including genetics, brain chemistry, personality, and traumatic life events.

Members, what are your thoughts.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: