Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Borderline Personality Disorder

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Once again WildCat, an informative and insightful reply. Mademe think a lot about my diagnostics and my way of seeing it all :) Thanks.
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi.

Some family memeberssss have this personality disorder... and I have some traits the psychiatrist is not sure if I fit in and 'out grew it' or if I had some bipolar symptomes that 'manifested oddly'

From what i understand,  BPD is the source of many conflicts in a person's life and is the root of depresson and mood swings.  Anti-depressants and moods stablisers are used to help especially while a person is in dialectical behaviour therapy ...  Borderline is an old name for this particular personality disorder and Psychiatrists are very much in favour of changing it (esp since it came from a time when doctors knew little about personality disorders and thought boderline psychotic ).  Ah well. 

There are a bunch of other personality disorders and the reason these are confusing -like the mood disorders and the anxiety disorders-  is because there is no one litmus test test that says "this is you!  Now get on with your life."   There is always a maybe, and perhaps and a well these symptoms seem more.... If you think of a disorder like a rainbow and each colour as a particular category ... so lets say narcasistic is blue and borderline is orange ... well you might acctually look like a striped beachball of symptoms -orange-white-orange-white-with a few purple dots .  

In the end.  The lable is there only to help the doctor.  YOU! have not changed one little bit.  You remain the same person your family loved yesterday when you did not associate yourself with the lable.  You are still the same employee the company hired to do a specific task all those moons ago before the 'Hi My Disease Is' lable got stuck to your shirt.  You have known yourself since the day you were created and survived a million and one little and big events every day, a doctor's maybe is not going to change anything!!!

So Furgittit
is it your personality disorder that caused your depression? Did a depression virus attack you from Mars?   The end goal is still the same, feel better by learning new ways of thinking about how we handle everyday life.
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 furgittit,

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) Borderline Personality Disorder is a Personality Disorder that is described as a prolonged disturbance of personality function characterized by depth and variability of moods. There is lots of great information on the internet, however remember that you have to be careful and consider the source  
Members, do you have any experience with this subject?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have heard mention (from my psychologist) about Borderline Personality Disorder and have done some online research about it.  It is very confusing and cannot differentiate as to whether this is something associated with my depression or if this is something causing my depression or if this is something completely different.  From the test I took, there seems to be several categories of Personality Disorder.
Does anyone out there have any experience with BPD?

Reading this thread: