Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Managing Anxiety

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy,

Diva is right, you've made incredible progress. It's not easy to get over abuse and not have some scars.  You can be proud that you have accomplished the things that you have to date.  Getting up is a major accomplishment, but getting back to work is so much more.  It takes courage and determination!  You will succeed, hang in there!
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think you are very brave and strong and have made incredible progres. I can't wait to see your progress here with us.
Breanne, I am both...I am retired from the job with the toxic working conditions(disability retirement through private resource) and I am working at a job that is a much more positive environment.  The onset of the depression occurred while I was in the toxic work environment.  Today, I work at a mental health facility but not in the capacity of a counselor anymore.  I am not able to handle that yet.  I started working 2 days a week, then three but not more than two in a row, then four but not more than two in a row, then 3 in row, then 4 in a row....I've worked my way up to full-time, then applied for a different job still not counseling.  This is all after two years of "staying in the bed" depression.  It has taken me two years to get back to this.  I am happy with my progress.  My psychiatrist monitors and is aware of my advancements and endorses them or I don't do it. I am in talk therapy.  The thing that "got me out of bed" was exercise.  I got my treadmill out and walked three minutes the first day....I was upset and disappointed that I couldn't walk more, but I walked 3 minutes more later that day.  Today I walk 45 minutes one time a day.  It is not a weight loss thing, it is a stimulation thing for me.  I also started doing my tai chi again and this helped me.  After I did that I started back to work about 11 months later.  I am 4 years post-retirement.  I still have horrible days, but what a great place to work when they occur as they do understand and are most accommodating. I was on Family and Medical Leave Act the last year I worked in the toxic environment.  I worked just enough to pay my bills until the retirement came through.

I still have a great deal of resentment toward my former boss (the toxicity in my former work environment).  He was verbally regularly and physically abusive on one occasion.  I filed a complaint against him and he was not allowed to speak to me the last two years I worked there.  All communication had to go through a third party as a result of mediation.  After I retired, he was forced to retire and I learned that 7 people had sued him through his career for comparable behavior.  Though I was not emotionally stable enough to purse that.  The PTSD type anxiety occurs when I make a mistake at my current job site.  I have never had an unkind word spoken to me as a result of any mistake there but I still get anxious and have alot of negative thoughts toward myself when this occurs.  I have had to leave work due to the overwhelming anxiety.  I do feel like I fake it to work 8 hours 5 days a week.  Sometimes I am successful and most weeks on Thursday and Friday I sleep except the 8 hours I am at work. 

I live alone and my son is grown and self-sufficient.  He is my Power of Attorney and assists me with making sure I keep up with my bills, take care of the house and other type routine daily things.  I still can't function at work and at home, but working is better than being at home.  I do want to get better, be able to handle things.  I have difficulty accepting who I am today.  

May be more than you wanted to know Breanne, but it felt good to get it out and see it in print.  Thanks again.
Goofy

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

Are you retired, or are you still working? It sounds like you were in a toxic working environment, which can definitely have a negative effect on your days, your mood, and your outlook. I hope the environment that you are in a better place now. Try to surround yourself with positive people, and focus on what is good in your life. You are doing great, you have a positive attitude, and are willing to challenge your anxious thoughts, good for you
Let us know how you are doing,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
Breanne, I really like those questions.  Though I rarely have a panic attack, I do have a great deal of anxiety.  If I will learn to use those questions, I may not turn down so many invitations, opportunities and outside contacts.  I usually feel anxious all the time at work, depressed at home.  I feel at work as if I'm running on empty.  I know part of my anxiety comes from having had an abusive, bullying boss in my former job (sort of PTSD, type stuff) but some of it is just being around people and feeling anxiety about keeping my self together for 8 hours at a time.  Asking myself those questions will help me keep my anxiety in perspective and realize the worst case scenario is that I have to take sick leave.  Thanks so much.  Your insight and wisdom is always appreciated.

Goofy

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Perth,

In terms of handling panic attacks, have you tried challenging your anxious thoughts? Below are ten questions you may find helpful in challenging these thoughts:

1. Is it "true"?
2. How do I know it’s true?
3. Is it 100% true? (remember something that is 75% or 99% true is  
    not 100% true)
4. What's the evidence for it being true?
5. What’s the evidence against it being true?
6. Has it ever happened before?
7. What's different now?
8. If it were true, how bad would it really be?
9. What's the worst thing that could happen?
10. If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be?

Have you looked through the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy portion of the program? You might find it helpful.
CBT is only effective when you do the homework. Worksheets help you track your homework exercises and CBT is a lot of work! As you move through the Depression Program the worksheets will change as you change. Make sure you give yourself time to do the homework properly - you know your depression best so it's really up to you to decide how often you do your homework. Take your time when you do your homework, there is no rush!

Each session in the Depression Program is based on previous sessions, and if you track your mood with your Mood Tracker (and keep notes in the spaces provided) you'll see much improvement over the coming weeks.

At the beginning of each session we give you a Weekly Review, which allows you to see how far you've progressed. We save your Weekly Review results in your Session Diary, so you will see a collection of results, which are all based on what you write in your worksheets.

CBT is a lot of work but the good news is that if you follow the program it will all come together for you as you start to feel better.

In terms of a therapist, that is up to you. If you feel you would benefit from talking to someone, and having them help you with your thought patterns, or even if you want to discuss medication, I would suggest looking into a therapist or going to see your family physician.

Hope this helps,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
Hi Sylvie,

Yes, unfortunately I can say I experience periods with anxiety symptoms. And it seems to me it's since my depression improved (I mean I got better). Somehow the better I could manage my depression or felt just "normal" the more often I got panic attacks sometimes almost un-controllable. I got the panicks from getting panick attack again at any later time. I still hope, it won't be a major issue, or at least not as major as my depression was, but I just don't know how I could handle to avoid panick attacks getting serious problem.
Any tips out there?

I don't know, probably there is no connection between my depression having improved and my current panick attacks. Probably it's something completely different why I experience them now.
Actually someone I love had an accident some times ago. It was a shock for me. He lost memories but only for one day. The next day he got them back. Yet, that happening remained unconsciously too deep in my mind so that I now each time get worried we go out of the house. I understand I should get it under control as I'm continuously living in anxiety of eventual-future-bad happenings. I have no idea how I could do that. Do I need a therapist?
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Along with the classic symptoms of depression (sadness, feelings of guilt, suicidal thoughts…) most people with depression also have significant anxiety symptoms. Although we tend to think of depression as being a condition of low arousal, slowing down or even hibernation, depression is often associated with high arousal, speeding up and agitation.

On the other hand, people with anxiety disorders commonly experience many of the symptoms associated with depression.

Are you experiencing both sets of symptoms? Are you having trouble managing your symptoms?

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: