Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,627 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO

I Want to Know

16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you. I just wanted some clarification. I am working with more than one doctor and it can be very confusing. I was just looking for a little clarification.
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, Situational depression is an emotional event that will affect most everyone at some time or another because there is trauma in every day life circumstances. Quite different from a clinically depressed state, depressive episodes that are based on circumstances will generally last for shorter periods of time and be much less severe. Events in life that lead to blue moods, feeling down, or low motivation may trigger clinical depression in those who hold high risk factors. The exact cause of depression is not known, but there are theories that point to several contributing components, and when more than one risk factor is present in an individual's life, their chances for experiencing severe depressive episodes increases. Because of this, depressive states that are the result of life situations should be treated; decreasing the risk for a much more serious episode. As moderators, we do not diagnose, and we do not take the place of a medical professional. If you have furter questions, please speak to your health care provider. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, I wish I had the answers for you. My bipolar/depression/anxiety is distinctly "non-situational". I can't identify a thing that made me the way I am other than brain chemistry and maybe some long-standing negative patterns of thought that I can work to improve. I hope you get a chance to talk with your therapist or doctor soon to help you sort out your thoughts.
That makes sense. BUT... Do I have to relive those horrible experiences over and over again until I find a way to handle the situation? I'm not willing to do that. I've faced the issues enough. I don't want to face them again. Have I gotten over them? I don't think I ever will. We cannot change the past so we definately can't fix it. Honestly, this whole thing is mind boggling and I don't know what to think.
Lady, I sometimes think doctors should schedule back-to-back appointments with their patients. The first is for diagnosis, the second (the very next day) to answer all the questions that come to us after the first visit! I don't think even if the depression is "situational" that a chemical imbalance doesn't come into play. It's how we respond to situations that matters, and for those of us who suffer from depression and anxiety, our brain chemistry colors our reactions. The meds should help us gain a level of control so we can work on the triggers. At least that's what I think the meds are for.
How does medication help if this isn't a chemical imbalance?
I think you are right but it is confusing. I've had many of these. Ok probably all of them. But it sounds like a temporary state of depression and I've had mine for years now. It sounds like it is triggered but does it ever end? The situations don't go away. If ignored does that mean they'll never go away? I have so many questions and don't know who to ask.
Lady, I've heard the term situational depression before. If I recall, it applies to instances where specific life circumstances (like an illness, or a death in the family, or any disruptive event--from loss of a job and subsequent financial stresses, to divorce, to confronting childhood trauma, to moving to a new location, etc.) may trigger a depressive episode. I'm sure there's more to it, and I may be completely wrong!
Mods, (or anyone else that may know) You are medical professionals correct? Can someone please tell me about Situational Depression and Anxiety. I want to know more about it but seem to be having trouble finding stuff on the web. Can you help me out? Understanding is the first step towards healing correct? Lady

Reading this thread: