Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Group Discussion on Session 6

12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds fantastic!
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Ashley,

I have been doing a lot of work but the pay off is that I am starting to feel MUCH BETTER. Looking at the progress I have made is very rewarding and gives me the motivation to keep working on my recovery from depression.

When I finish the program (session 9) I will start doing its summary, and as I already wrote. This will help me do frequent reviews of the most important concepts of the program and to help in the prevention of relapses. As agreed, I will send you a message with the summary so you can do a review. Then we can post the summary so other people could benefit from it.

Thank you for your support!
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eleveno,

Thank you for continuing to post what you find helpful or when you think there needs to be some tweeks to the program - this is very helpful to us.

It's also so nice to hear about your progress. How does it feel to be seeing this progress?

Great news about the sleep!  That put a smile on my face as I know you have been struggling with that.

Wow, it looks like you have made TONS of progress   I think a reward should be in order for this weekend  Or at least take a moment to be present to what you are working on and how much you have already achieved.  YOU are doing this!

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What I liked of this session was the fact that kept remind me the importance of writing thought records. In everyday life it is easy to forget writing thought records and repetition of the concepts is always important to solidify the knowledge.

The types of cognitive distortions I had were: predicting the future (the winner!), overgeneralization, all-or-none thinking and catastrophising. These cognitive distortions had an huge impact in my thinking because in a downward spiral these thoughts seemed true (but the reality/facts were different most of time).

If my thinking was more positive I would have more positive feelings and deal with everyday challenges with a more positive attitude.

Mood tracker: on the last week depression levels were equal or bellow 30 except on Monday. It is good progress compared when I started this program (In a typical week I had only one good day and the rest of it I felt miserable)

Pleasant activities: I keep doing them and most of the time my motivation cames before action which I think is a good indicator that I am in the right path (very different from 2 months ago when I didn't have any motivation to do anything at all).

Goals: I did a good planning but still need to improve the action part.

Medicine: Wellbutrin (anti-depressive) is starting to have its full effect (I started it 1 month ago). I am still dealing with its side effects and especially insomnia. My doctor prescribed me a sleeping aid which made things worse. Last night I made an experience: did not take any sleeping aid and I affirmed to my self that I would sleep better and whatever I got from sleep it would be fine and that I would not worry about it. The result was that I got the best night of the last month. Even thought I didn't slept perfectly I will keep this new attitude regarding sleep and expect to get better at it.

14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Strength, it's so nice to hear that your family is helping you along with the statements.

For me in this session, the thing that stuck in my mind the most aws the part about taking too much blame for things happening, bad things happening to other people even...I'll give you an example. I went out for dinner for a friends birthday. I didnt' want to stay out too late, I am not a big fan of busy restaurants and loud chatter. Anyways, my other friend let's call her Jane, asked if she could have a ride home with me, but I told her well, I'm leaving early so she can if she wants to leave early, she decided against it, and becasue she could not get a ride with anyone else and did not want to take the bus, she did not come out. I felt like this was my fault, and kept thinking throughout the night well, I should have jsut given her a ride and stayed later. After reading this self blame bit, I realize that no it is not my fault and I shouldn't blame myself in a situation such as taht because it only brings me down.

What are your thoughts on this?

If negative thoughts contain lots of “it’s my fault” and self-blame for bad things happening, ask yourself the following questions:

• Am I 100% responsible?
  • Does anybody else share any of the responsibility, even 5%?
  • How would someone else see this situation?
  • Would other people see this situation as being as serious as I do? Why not?
  • What if it was someone else? Would I blame them 100%?
  • How would I feel if someone did this to me?
  • Did I know any better at the time? Could I have known better at the time?
  • Knowing only what I knew then, did I make a reasonable choice at the time?
  • If I have made a mistake, does that mean I can never make up for it?
  • If I have made bad mistakes in the past, does that mean I can’t become a better person?

14 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would just like to say that things are going well at my household with eliminate the I should statements! Hooray! We will keep on it!

Strength

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

If you are just joining us, we are working as a group to help each other work through Depression Centre program together by discussing one session each week. If you have already started the program feel free to add your thoughts. You may even decide to review this session for the purpose of this group discussion. 

If you are not at Session 6 yet please check back in the forums and find the discussion on the session you have completed, add your thoughts and view what others have had to say.

The goals for Session 6 are:

• Help you review your Session 5 Thought Records so you can get a better understanding of how to effectively challenge your negative thinking.
  • Encourage you to keep challenging your negative thinking.
What did you like about this Session? Do you find yourself saying never, always or should? How is this affecting your thinking? How is this affecting how you are feeling and what you are doing? If you were thinking a little more positively how would you be feeling and what would you be doing differently?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: