Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Cognitive distortions in thought records

17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eleven, Thanks for contacting us. Now that you have reached session 4, "How to Challenge Your Negative Thoughts" we have asked you to keep thought records. By asking you to keep Thought Records, we’re asking you to do something that you’ve probably never done before. Like learning any new skill, learning how to keep Thought Records takes some time and practice. The first few often take quite a while to complete. However, the payoff is that after some time and practice you will have a much better understanding of the relations among your thoughts, feelings and behaviors. The following tips will help. 1) Use a change in your mood as a signal to do a Thought Record 2) Try to be as specific as possible 3) Try to complete the Thought Record as soon as possible after the event As for cognitive distortion, here are a list of common types of cognitive distortions. Which one you recognize? 1) Focus on the negative 2) Overgeneralization 3) All-or-none thinking 4) Catastrophizing 5) Disqualifying the positive 6) Emotional reasoning 7) Personalization 8) Labeling 9) Predicting the future 10) “Should” statements 11) Mind reading Please feel free to respond to our reply. If you would like to work one on one with our moderators, then please contact us in our feedback section found at the bottom of this page. Melanie ____________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team
17 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Because there are several cognitive distortion to analise when I try to challenge my negative thoughts I have doubts in which cognitive(s) distortion(s) I have to apply to my thoughts. I think I will miss this part in the thought reports and I hope this will not compromise the therapy.

Reading this thread: