Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Successfully seeking help

13 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go Greg_C! that is a wonderfull success! Woohoo!
13 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Greg_C
So glad you sought help that was available to you.  I think it will get easier sharing over time.  

In initial appts with counselors both are on shaky ground.  The counselee is trying to determine if the person is genuine and trustworthy.  wondering if they will understand and be responsive to their unique situation.  
The counselor is trying to get to know and understand someone's issues, trying to read between the lines when necessary and getting a working knowledge of how that person is feeling and what they are going through.  

You may have a few more clenched teeth sessions, but though his teeth may not be clenched, he's searching for information that he can use to figure out the best way to help you.  Hang in there.  

As said below, keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

13 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Greg_C,

That sounds like wonderful news! Thanks so much for sharing with us.
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Greg_C,

Thank you for sharing this with us, it sounds like you have been having some success with seeking help. I am glad that you have reached out to your resources and can anticipate progress. Continue to strive forward and check in to let us know how you progress.

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today I made contact with a doctor, through my Employee Assistance Program. I'm a pretty private person so this is a big step for me. I was able to open up more than with my family doctor, or my wife. I anticipate some progress.

It's done online, which seems to help, at least for me (just like this site). I must say, though, that allowing myself to be completely honest about my feelings was difficult. I was shaky afterward, and my jaw hurt from clenching it so hard. And this is from writing online.I don't know how people get through sessions in person.

Reading this thread: