Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

My amazing son

13 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LOL! My mistake, I read the date you joined and thought that was the date the event happened (looked like it was a while ago). My fault for not paying attention and reading carefully. Silly me.

How very, very exciting for you! Now it is even more exciting since it just happened!

WOW, Pete.   THAT was an amazing story.   You have every right to be exceptionally proud of that young man.    What an inpiration he is.   Thanks for sharing.
13 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wasn't that long ago, Sally - only Monday this week

I just wanted to say, I know the event was quite a while ago, but it was still exciting to read it this morning. Even after all this time, your post is inspiring and uplifting, and I still wish I had been there. How is your son doing now? Does he still play?
Wow, wow, wow!

That is the most awesome story I have ever heard Pete! I would have been just flying high if he were my son. The way you describe it, I wish I had been there with you to witness his incredible performance. Knowing the challenges he's had to overcome just makes it all that more special. Thank you so much for sharing it with us! What a special, special moment. As a mom, my biggest joy in life is seeing my daughter grow up and have moments like this. We have never had one quite so incredible though. Congratulations to you and your son! Your story is so uplifting and nice. It is just what I needed this morning. I truly wish I had seen him perform.
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pete,

Wow what an awesome story! Thank you so much for sharing ! I bet that you playing guitar for all these years has inspired your son to follow in your footsteps. You must have felt so proud to see your son excel and be passionate about his performance. It sounds like he has found a way to express himself and this is just the beginning for him! Bravo to him for his courage, and bravo to you for being the proud father.

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Pete!  What an accomplishment for A.  I can see why you would be proud and beaming with pride.  It sounds like you've done a great job as a parent.  So pats on the back for you too, "dad"  :)!!!!!  
13 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK, so this isn't my personal success, but I'm so very proud that I had to share.

My youngest son is 13, nearly 14, and has Aspergers Syndrome (an autistic spectrum disorder). He has recently found a love for music and, being an Aspie, has immersed himself in his favourite bands obsessively. He has started playing the guitar, and only a couple of months ago started having lessons with a guitar teacher based at his school. He has issues with confidence and communication, amongst other things, so just taking lessons has been a big step for him, one of which we are very proud indeed.

Tonight there was a little concert at his school, where kids who are learning instruments and singing performed. To our amazement, our son said he wanted to be in it. So we went along tonight - it was a lovely summer evening so it was outdoors which helped the atmosphere to be relaxed.

Now I've heard A. practising the guitar, and I was fully expecting to be embarrassed for him as he stumbled through his piece, and I was prepared to make all the right noises afterwards. Waiting his turn to perform, he looked nervous and had his closed-in, Aspergers look about him.

And then he came to perform. In contrast to most of the other kids who did feelgood singalong kind of numbers, A. did a quiet, meditative song by the band Radiohead (his favourite band). First shock - he didn't just play it, he sang! Now I have never heard him sing before, had no idea he could .... and he sang well, quietly but hitting all the notes, and with emotion. His guitar playing was bang-on as well. No mistakes at all. A. really seemed to get inside the song, to perform it. I was blown away, amazed. This was his first time playing or singing for an audience. I just feel so proud.

I have been playing the guitar, on and off, for nearly 30 years, and I have never played for an audience, and I doubt that I will ever do so. And here is my son, with his particular personality, playing and singing when he has only been learning for a matter of weeks. I just feel so proud of him and his courage.

Reading this thread: