Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Back to work

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Pete!

Congratulations on all your successes!
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Pete,

So good to hear that work has been going well! We are rooting for you!

Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think you should give yourself a little credit (a lot actually).  I mean you had to go back to work not knowing.  You had the meds, but it took a lot of determination and courage to get back in there.  I know....been there.  Let's pat ourselves on the back and take the credit we deserve and give the meds a little bit 'o credit!

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
3 days now back at work and I'm tired, but good-tired if you see what I mean. So far it's been positive and I've been almost lively at times (!). Must be the meds having an effect, but I'm feeling just a bit lighter of spirit.

Fingers crossed it lasts....
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Pete,   Your story is certainly a success..............thank you for sharing it! You may not realize how much you may have helped others by acknowledging all the positive aspects of your work day - the small successes all add up and I believe you have gained a more positive and optimistic outlook towards your situation.   I will join you in raising an imaginary glass to celebrate your success............members, please join us too!         Faryal, Health Educator
Pete, I wouldn't consider any success pathetic!  Congratulation on ALL your successes today and having some positive thoughts about yourself as well.  I raise my imaginary glass and toast to your successful day (clink)!

Well, it's a bit pathetic but I'm going to call this a success. I went back to work today after two weeks signed off by my doctor. My two weeks of relaxation and de-stressing didn't go exactly to plan (real life impinges whether you want it to or not) and I ended up frustrated with having spent the two weeks either navel-gazing or stressing about our washing machine which broke down ( a major event in a family of five ).

Anyway, I've strayed from the point (naturally - I will never use one sentence when five will do). I went back to work today. I felt very nervous about it this morning - couldn't eat breakfast, found myself wishing I'd gone back to my doctor and asked for another week or two off work. But I pushed myself on, and to my surprise, once I got there I clicked back into routine and it was rather refreshing to feel like a valuable member of society again.

And I got through the day without doing many of the things I usually do during the working day:
  • no headache
  • didn't stare at myself in the mirror of the toilet for ten minutes whilst swearing at myself
  • didn't wander the streets like a robot during my lunch hour
  • didn't spend my time at my desk with my mp3 player on to isolate myself from office conversation
  • didn't feel like a burnt out shell by mid-afternoon
In fact, most of the time I behaved like a 'regular guy'. So maybe the two weeks away helped break those negative, rigid patterns I had got into at work. Just hope I can keep it up. It wasn't a very busy day, but there was the stress of people welcoming me back, asking how I feel etc. Maybe the meds are kicking in a bit now, but right now I'm feeling quite optimistic. Of course, I know how my moods swing around, and this time tomorrow I could be back on this site moping again and making everyone around here feel terrible. I must wait to see how I cope when I face a stressful situation or, horror of horrors, a social situation.

But right now, I'll be terribly bigheaded, raise an imaginary glass, and congratulate myself. My target now is to miss no more work for reason of depressive symptoms (if I should be ill otherwise I won't be able to help that).

Reading this thread: