Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

What worries are you holding on to?

10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're off to a great start Duffy! Day 1 is huge. Keep up the great work. You'll succeed!

Best regards

Dave
10 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well put Sadie. I made it through day 1 of being back in "the real world." I found eating and enjoying a good cup of coffee kind of took the edge off. That, and reading all the posts, thanks again guys, you're helping me more than you know.
10 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you, Dave, John, Bella and all who take the time to show that we are not alone. I am so glad that I found this site. Support and encouragement from those who have traveled, and are traveling, a simular path is so very helpful.
10 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sadie, I agree with Dave. Keep posting.  We're all struggling to the same goal, from different places.  Each of us addressing our body and mind relationship with this chemical.  Don't give up!  John
Hi Sadie,

Thanks for sharing. It sound's like we're approximately the same age, and not surprisingly, walked very much the same path, although I never quit for 17 years. I'm not surprised by how you've used alcohol to help alleviate the stress bought on by the depression. It's so crazy that alcohol is such an accepted form of self-medication. As soon as we start drinking alcohol triggers an endorphin release that continues the more we consume. Endorphins counteract stress and depression. Temporarily. So more seems better. Unfortunately we're faced with the aftermath of the hangover, which can easily lead to depression for someone that isn't suffering from it, let alone someone like yourself that is already subject to depression. Add alcohol as a management tool for someone with depression and the increase in frequency and reliance can be measured in magnitudes, like an earthquake. Personally, I find I get the most depressed when I have been drinking excessively. Like yourself, I have way too much to lose as well; family, friends, job, as I think we all do. Give yourself a break Sadie. Alcohol isn't going to go anywhere so focus on your depression and getting that behind you. I'm not sure if you exercise but if you don't that is a great place to start when you need to replace that endorphin release and manage stress. The solution to your challenge may not be obvious at the moment but it will and you're going to get there. I can tell you are an incredibly smart, brave, and determined individual who has a lot of positives to draw strength from. I can only see success for you moving forward. 

Thank you so much for sharing Sadie. Don't stop and post often as you'll always have people here you will listen and appreciate what you're going through and who have your back. You're not alone in this.

Best regards,

Dave
10 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dave, I quit about 16 years ago as a gradual "moving on" kind of thing. I had been drinking since high school and college, a heavy "social drinker". Continued after grad school, but not always social, I think that was an excuse to drink. I often drank alone. There were stages of that's all I could think of, drinking. Continued through my early 30's but slowing down. Then just became a non issue. I wasn't really interested. Then about 4 years ago, depression set in (or perhaps re-surfaced) and anxiety and that "voice" to drink. As my therapist says, the switch that has been there dormant was triggered again. And, along side with the depression, it hit hard. It has consumed my thoughts, my emotions, my life! It has such a hold on me. I am having trouble letting go....even though it could potentially destroy me!
I am so blessed with the life that I have, my job, family and friends. To think that I am "allowing" this addiction to threaten all of it.....

Bella, you are very welcome. You're going to find this place is a rich resource for the support you need, I'm always amazed at the depth and selflessness of the people on here that continue to inspire me. I have no doubt you'll find that too and I look forward to your input. You fit right in.

Sadie, I think I can safely say everyone here has walked the same path of alcohol abuse as yourself in their own way. I know it seems tough at the moment but it's going to get a lot better. Why did you quit before? And was there a reason you took it up again? I quit a few months ago and I'm really happy I did. Life gets better and better as time progresses and it will for you too. Really glad your here.

Best regards,

Dave
Duffy, no problem at all! Glad to help. I was in the same boat not so long ago. It helps to imagine success and put the pressure out of your mind. I have absolute confidence you'll walk right by and not look back. 

Maintain that resolve and focus. You;re on the right track.

Best regards,

Dave
10 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Duffy,

you can do it. That's why you posted. You know you have the strength to overcome those urges. You have us for support, but remember to think of your "pros and cons" and when you past by that bar just think of all the things you could do with that money you will save. Possibly treat loved ones for dinner? :)

you can do it,

Bella
10 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Dave,

Thank you for the warm words. I really appreciate that someone is caring enough to respond. I really like how everyone on this website is here for each other. It's really a beautiful thing this website offers us to open up and respond to others to help give inspiration.
I think it's important that when I do feel really stressed out, I do the breathing exercises. I worked on them today before my exam and it made a big difference. Who would have thought that just breathing properly and deeply could get rid of so much tension in our bodies.

I will also try not to think about the negatives and think about the positives because well ,you're right, if they didn't like who I was they wouldn't be around. Also, I got around to reading the article and it's very true, worrying really accomplishes nothing and just makes you feel worse. I will definitely try to work on these bad habits to live a healthier lifestyle!

Dearest Sadie,

I know sometimes we all feel like a burden but it's really important to remember that thoughts are better spoken then bottled up. When we bottle up our feelings that can lead to serious consequences, like suicidal ideations or just unhappiness. Sometimes when I don't talk about my feelings because I think I'm doing something good for my friends and boyfriend, it ends up just biting me in the @$$ because I get so cranky or drained in other aspects and therefore that affects my relationships unintentionally.
The people around you love and care about you and they want and need to know what's going on in your head. Otherwise they won't be able to help you, offer advice or assist you in anyway that you need it.
Basically, I know we sometimes feel we are a burden, but that's just negative thoughts that we need to push away when they come to us.

Warmest,
Bella

Reading this thread: