Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

Our Community - Let?s grow it!

10 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've noticed that at any given time there are anywhere from 3 to 9 members logged in to this AHC site, with another 50 to 300 browsing.  As I respond to this thread, the site indicates 9 members logged in and another 309 people browsing...the latter group is a lot of potential community members who no doubt have much value to add and share and make this site a great resource for everyone. 

I'm not entirely certain what makes certain members more apt to post regularly; but, suffice it to say there are a variety of reasons.  I'm sure there are also many reasons why others who are browsing are not actively participating, even in a limited way...and that's OK.

To grow our community in terms of more contributors, we could purposely ask those who are browsing regularly to become members and contribute as little or as much as they feel comfortable sharing about their feelings, fears or thoughts without any fear of judgement or criticism.  Seeing that many members are already using pseudo names, this would be a perfect opportunity for them to join and remain anonymous.  We, as a community, can only stand to grow and reach out to touch and help many others...this can have a rippling effect.

So, this message is primarily aimed first and foremost to those who are browsing.  If you have noticed anything at all, it will be that members are very kind, encouraging, honest and supportive of each other, even of those of us who are still having challenges quitting alcohol entirely.

Any and all ideas and input are most welcome.  We would love to hear from you.

Love is all.
10 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great thoughts everyone! Let's keep this discussion an ongoing process as perfection doesn't exist but we can certainly always progress.

Also, let's try to leave out technology and ranking suggestions (I know there can be tons of great ideas!) as right now let's focus on what the members and Health Educators can do. These two resources are what we are focusing on. 

Turquoise made a great point about response time. We have a Health Educator online on weekend and Fridays and Mondays and we  try our best to catch up on all the posts and reply on a timely manner but what can we do other times? How can we organize to improve response time?

Keep the thoughts coming!

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with Turquoise -- fast response to my first posts felt very welcoming when I felt especially alone and vulnerable.

I found the site through CAMH's main page when I was looking for help.  My doctor referred me to CAMH and I was looking to book an appointment for an assessment. I haven't booked that appointment and don't feel I need to.  The person at CAMH who answered my phone call was very helpful and patient.  I didn't even know how to go to an AA meeting. I thought a "closed" meeting somehow meant one had to arrange an invitation!

John
10 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree that a higher Google profile would help people find AHC. I also found this site entirely by chance, when I was desperately looking for a cognitive-therapy-type alcohol support group. There are a few other online support groups, and I joined a couple of them, but this one felt the most personal.

Once someone has found AHC, I think the main thing that brings them back is quick feedback. I feel a bit guilty as I say this, because I frequently don't have the time to write, so I'm often a "lurker". But I just searched and found my first posting from June, 2012. Within an hour, I had a welcoming and helpful response from "Athena" (eternal thanks, Athena!) and shortly after that, Ashley, you also welcomed me and asked a few very good questions. I know that made a huge difference for me at the time, and I quickly started checking in regularly...

10 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know we all came to this site through different pathways.   I found it through my psych hospital CAMH - I found it entirely by accident, when I went to do the drinking questionnaire, and thought Alcohol Help Centre that sounds interesting.    But it's certainly not easy to find on the CAMH website and could be promoted more there, or through CAMH's facebook feed.     

Not sure how I'd get them to give it a higher profile on their web page.

splitimage
10 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley, 

One strength of this community is our anonymity.  I would say the things I write to my wife or close friends, but I wouldn't write them without taking a lot more care, and I wouldn't say them to people outside my close circle. At the same time, I find the anonymity off-putting.

Another strength is the principle that we don't express judgments about each other, and we try to be supportive.

I think the community works best when we show we are listening to each other, when we talk about our feelings, and when we describe resources we have seen that have worked for us or others.

I would like the community to grow, but I'm not sure how to achieve that.  I'm surprised how small it is, but that's only observing for one month.  

I'm surprised how helpful it is to me; but I'm still at a stage where I am spending energy not drinking.  It is not yet a "normal" state of mind for me, and feels like I could suddenly binge any day.

John
10 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We all know that this support group has a special  group of members and we want to keep it that way. We also want to build on the many strengths we already have. This thread will be dedicated to doing just that. This will be a  thread where we share ideas on how to grow this community and make it stronger. This isn’t about technical requests or complaints (save that for the feedback section please). This is a thread where members organize to touch more lives and  to make this place a more fulfilling outlet for everyone.

One of the greatest strengths we have in this community is our veteran members. I hope that our veteran members add their input in here as they see fit as this community would not exist without them. I also hope our new members share their thoughts as the more new voices we have the stronger we become!

I want the members here to lead this growth and organization of efforts because you all are the life blood of this site. But to get the discussion flowing here are some questions you may want to think and write about:
What do you think is important to focus on in growing this community? What can the members do to aid this?
What are your gifts and what are the gifts of the other members that we can utilize?
How can the members and Health Educators make this place a more welcoming place for all?
What are our community’s strengths?

Reading this thread: