Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,625 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO

Changing Behaviour

12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As our body ages the physical craving gets harder thats why after we start drinking after a gap, initially we may think we are in control but quickly loose control of how much of quantity of booze we take.
12 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Hepsie for your words of encouragement.
Day two,starting the whole process again,still not feeling very good but forced myself to go to the gym and work out which I think was a help.

Foxman.
I did think I could just have a few then stop, since I had not drank for a year, but things are just not that simple.
Back to one day at a time!

12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In AA we call it the blind spot where the almost certain consequences that follow taking a drink does not deter us from picking up that first drink. If these thought does occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. This is the queer mental twist some us develop. And once we succumb to this desire, the phenomenon of craving kicks in and end up drinking more than what we planned for. Then we get caught in this vicious cycle. This is powerlessness the book called AA talks about it.

12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don, one year is really something to celebrate.  Hold on to the big picture.  You already know you can get back there.  I too try to remember that waking up feeling like crap is not something I want to revisit.  All those lost headachy mornings and lost days!

Ashley, what you write about actions and behaviors imbedded in context is extremely helpful to me--and timely.  I got a reminder yesterday, when my ex behaved in typically unpleasant form regarding a legal matter we are trying to resolve.  This is an antecedent for me and I found myself thinking, "Just one wouldn't hurt and it sure would help me deal with this!"  Trouble is, it's never, ever just one.  It's always the whole bottle.  Thankfully, I had a busy evening planned.  I went to an exercise class, then got my hair done.  By that time, the witching hour had passed and the urge to drink along with it.  I ate a giant bowl of popcorn and a big bowl of Cheerios loaded with sugar instead.  And a candy cane off the Christmas tree.  Carbos, yum.

Today, I will take another exercise class and have the energy to do it.    
12 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Changed my behaviour for one year(sober one year), but had family visitors over Xmas that I have not seen for many years(old drinking buddy), they are not aware of my drinking problems,started drinking with them, to date it has not been excessive but I know it it is only a few drinks away. At Xmas dinner etc I know my family are watching me waiting for me to get drunk and  make a fool of myself.Right now I am not sober just a little drunk!!As they say just a few!!
My grand daughter stopped in on her way home from school today, even half cut I know she knows something is not right!!
Wake up call, as she is so important to me!!!!!
Hoping to get back under control, starting to get tired of that old feeling of waking up feeling like crap!!

12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Changing your behaviours is NOT easy. Much of our behaviour is learned and over the years as we change, grow and develop breaking these habits can be tougher than we expected. Actions and behaviours are imbedded in context for example, if you are shy and you step into a room full of people it is probably enough to make you feel uncomfortable. Your reaction to certain situations or people may lead you to wanting a drink. To change this behaviour it’s important to learn what stimulates your actions (antecedents), and the affects of your behaviour (consequences).  Over the course of this week brainstorm and share with us some of your antecedents and consequences. 

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: