Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

New here :)

4 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning! I have a conference to go to on Thursday :) My goal this week it to go to it without having any alcohol from today until then :) I know I will feel amazing if I can do that and so good about myself. Thanks for listening to me and encouraging me. 
Thank you Lynn. I’m doing ok. Starting to think about the next week again and setting my goals a little higher :) I had one set back, but trying really hard! 
4 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
EJM715 and Sabastian,  I hope things are going good with you!
So thankful for you both! Tonight I’m back up gingerale and a treat! Thank you for letting me be honest. I need to focus on one day at a time. When I read what both of you are doing and how you have struggled I feel like I’m reading about myself. So even though I’m not perfect I am trying and thinking about how to improve my bad habits. 
4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are 2 exercises you can try. 

Try moderation. To see if we can consistently take 2/3 drinks over a period of time. If you cant moderate, it will show. At times, one will lose control and go way overboard. 

Try staying stopped for a prolonged period, say a year. If one is a problem drinker, the person will be waiting for the day to come. Worse if one is an alcoholic, they will drive others crazy and themselves too.

But it takes honest evaluation of themselves. 
4 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sabastian, It is so hard!! Moderating is still great!! Better than having too much. Don’t be hard on yourself, having a glass of wine is still one of the first things I thing about when I get home from work. To be honest I probably would have given in & had it by now but after getting wasted from drinking wine a few weeks ago I promised my husband I wouldn’t have any for a while especially when I’m home alone. I’m trying to take small steps to learning to be a moderate drinker. It’s harder than I thought it would be but I keep telling myself to be strong Bc I can do this & so can you, when you are ready. Lmk if you need anything! ??
Good morning! I’m not doing as well as you :( I’m not doing terrible, I’m still moderating. But I do wish I was doing better. When I read your post I wished I had your strength.  My problem is I keep saying next week.  I’m so happy for you that you are doing so well. 
Thanks Lynn! I have been using treats as a reward system for myself. I keep telling myself a small snack is less calories than drinking wine & I won’t hate myself tomorrow morning. Working so far! Today I treated myself to some new clothes. A reward definitely helps me get through the days & the week! I’m also happy I don’t have any parties this weekend so less stress about the social situation & drinking. One day at a time! Thank you!! ??

Sabastian, How is your week going so far?
4 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thinking about drinking.  I remember those days and do not miss them at all.  I would spend the entire day thinking about drinking that night.  If I tried to not drink for a night I was miserable all day because I wasn't going to be able to do the one thing I wanted to do so badly.  

When I decided to give up alcohol up for a week and then 2 weeks, then a month, I knew I had to have something, anything, to look forward to.  I knew there was going to be nothing that would take the place of the alcohol but it had to be something that was a "treat" for me.  I work out and and am very diligent about the food I eat, so for me having something that was a treat became the thing I looked forward to.  In the beginning I would buy something at the store but then realized that if I made it at home it would occupy my time.  I allowed myself that treat, knowing that whatever I was eating wasn't going to total the calories that I would have consumed if I drank.  

This helped me get through the initial steps of becoming alcohol free, maybe it can help someone else.  There are lots of "treats" out there, you just have to find the one for you.  Good luck everyone!

Lynn
Thanks Lynn! ??

Sabastian, I completely understand, it’s a hard habit to break and not have the wine after a long day when you are finally able to relax! That’s part of my problem & when I get the urges most, when the day is finally over, kids are in bed & I can finally sit & have some time to relax.  I’m trying to have seltzer or sparkling water instead & hopefully retrain my mind to not want that glass of wine! Ginger ale is a good choice!! Good luck & please keep me posted on how you are doing! 

Reading this thread: