Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

New here :)

4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Back in 90' I too switched to Beer only and when my brother passed my wife said, i might have some issue with drinking and forced me to stop altogether. But I somehow managed her to agree to 1 beer on Fridays. I would so looking forward to that day. I will go buy a 32 ounce bottle but slowly slowly, I would buy extra bottles for the road. And when we had our daughter in 1998 the attention went to my daughter, I slowly extended the drinking to weekends and then back to all days. In 2005 Georgia cleared high octane beers and I switched right away. Because i was drinking ""beer only"". 

When I came into the rooms of AA in 2006 and reading the big book (this was written by the way in 1939) i ran into this part:

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums?we could increase the list ad infinitum.

I thought, dang, they have written something I can relate to. 
4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Back in 90' I too switched to Beer only and when my brother passed my wife said, i might have some issue with drinking and forced me to stop altogether. But I somehow managed her to agree to 1 beer on Fridays. I would so looking forward to that day. I will go buy a 32 ounce bottle but slowly slowly, I would buy extra bottles for the road. And when we had our daughter in 1998 the attention went to my daughter, I slowly extended the drinking to weekends and then back to all days. In 2005 Georgia cleared high octane beers and I switched right away. Because i was drinking ""beer only"". 

When I came into the rooms of AA in 2006 and reading the big book (this was written by the way in 1939) i ran into this part:

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums?we could increase the list ad infinitum.

I thought, dang, they have written something I can relate to. 
4 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi! Hope things are going well this week Sabastian. I’m doing well, I’ve been moderating & sticking to beer which I drink slowly & doesn’t effect me the way wine does. I did have some wine over the weekend & remembered very quickly why it’s not a good idea for me! I drink it too fast & always want more. Luckily I stopped before things got out of control. Overall I am happy w my progress but wish I would stop craving wine as often as I do! Thank you for listening! ??
4 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lynn and EJM715,  I’m checking in, mostly for my own accountability as I start a new week. My goal is similar to last week but I’m hoping to be even stronger. Monday’s are good for me, almost always my no wine day. But I’m hoping to push that further to Mon, Tues, Wed. Hope you are both well. 
Things are ok, not perfect ok. I switched things up a bit for my days, and am ok with that. Today being a no drinking day! Thank you for checking in. Next week I’ll reset my goals again. Planning is definitely helping me. 
4 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sabastian, I hope things went well at the conference.  

EJm715, how are things with you?
4 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great goal Sabastian!! You can do it & you will feel amazing when you reach that goal! I moderated this past weekend & did well. I didn’t drink any wine, stuck to beer which is easier for me to moderate & doesn’t get me drunk like wine does. I did well & didn’t have too much. However, I’m thinking my vicious cycle w alcohol needs to come to an end. I was feeling better when I wasn’t having anything. I’m thinking maybe I need to stop permanently or stick to having a drink on a special occasion only.  Alcohol has become too much a part of my daily life & I don’t want it to control me anymore. Thank you for listening! ??
4 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sabastian,

I'm glad to hear that you came here after a setback and didn't just throw in the towel.  That's a great goal you have, waiting until Thursday to have a drink.  You are probably thinking that you will be dying for a drink come Thursday, and you may.  But if I could offer some advice, pay attention to how you feel about taking that drink.  Do you really want it, or is it that part of you that wants so bad to have a drink now?  You may be surprised at the answer.  

Great job and good luck!

Lynn
Good morning! I have a conference to go to on Thursday :) My goal this week it to go to it without having any alcohol from today until then :) I know I will feel amazing if I can do that and so good about myself. Thanks for listening to me and encouraging me. 
Good morning! I have a conference to go to on Thursday :) My goal this week it to go to it without having any alcohol from today until then :) I know I will feel amazing if I can do that and so good about myself. Thanks for listening to me and encouraging me. 

Reading this thread: