Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

New here :)

4 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hope things are going good for you tonight.  Good luck!

Lynn
4 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Lynn, I appreciate you responding to me and helping. I’m going to try hard this week. 
Chocolate sounds like a good choice and I would't stress about not having a specific plan.  I didn't have a plan for every night, I just knew I would do what I wanted to get through the night.  I normally wouldn't start my nightly drinking until 5:00, it made me feel like I had control.  Ha, yeah, I was wrong.  When I first gave up alcohol I found the actual drinking time wasn't the hardest time, it was the apprehension during the day that was the worst.  I made me aware of how much of my day was consumed about thinking about drinking.  So much wasted time.  

Remember you can only do one day at a time!
I don’t have a plan. It would probably be helpful to come up with one. I’m open to suggestions. It’s probably going to be chocolate! 
Sabastian,

That is a great goal you have for the week!  You've got this!  I will be happy to check in on you to see your progress.  Use that "sick" feeling toward alcohol to your advantage and use it to get you through any hard times.  Do you have a plan for the week?  

Lynn
Hi Lynn and EJM715, 

I’m going to try really hard to have no alcohol this week. I’m so sick of it actually :) I hope that feeling doesn’t go away! If you can check in on me I would appreciate it :) 
4 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi! I’m also doing ok, not as good as I was. Also thinking it’s time to give up drinking altogether. Last weekend I had too much & found it hard to stop. I was happier & doing better when I was having nothing. Sounds like that idea of choosing a date on the calendar is a good idea! Thank you! ????
Sabastian,

Have you considered going a set period of time without alcohol?  Maybe several weeks or even a month?   I know it doesn't seem possible, but when I decided to give up alcohol it was like a weight was lifted off of me.  It was almost as though knowing I could have it again in a few days made it harder than when I told myself I couldn't have any for 3 months.  I learned to deal with the urges and was forced to find things to do to occupy my time.  When I was out with friends it was easier too, I just said I was taking a break from alcohol.  

That first month was tough but then they actually got a little easier.  That's not to say that I didn't struggle, I did, but I also knew I was a happier person without alcohol.  I was also happier because I didn't have to think about it.  Maybe you could try this for yourself.  Mark a date on the calendar, not when you will stop, but when you can have another drink.  You may have learned a lot about yourself in the time without alcohol and decide to continue the journey alcohol free.  

I hope this helps and am glad you are ok.  Let us know how you're doing and good luck!

Lynn

Hi Lynn,  thanks for asking. It’s going ok. I’m starting another three day plan. I have to admit, the further I get into this journey the more I wonder if I should just give up alcohol all together.  Any advice? 
Sabastian and EJM715, I hope things are good with you.  How has your weekend been?

Reading this thread: