Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

New here :)

4 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sabastian and EJM715,

Just stopping in to see how the 2 of you were progressing.  I hope all is well!

Lynn
4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My bad. The book is called "Alcoholics Anonymous", in aa people refer to that as the big book. You can find it on-line at:

All could benefit out of the chapter (3) "More about alcoholism" and then the chapter (2) "There is a Solution".

There is a subtle insanity that goes just prior to taking that first drink. Sometimes we deliberate sometimes we dont but in both cases, we dont think of the consequences. Very few can relate to what I am talking about. If we belong to that category, we could then look at the solution. 
4 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What is The Book!
Happy Labor day all. Last phase of my drinking career, I will set the date for getting sober but kept pushing it after these long week-ends.  Thanksgiving would come next, christmas and then new year......The mind would always trick me into coming up with a grand plan on how I will control this time. 

The book talks about the peculiar mental twist that precedes that first drink. This is how! we all can substitute some reason. Realizing this convinced me that I had to get serious about rest of the program. Again though this is not for all. A few of us do need some drastic changes. 
EJM715, 
How are you doing?  Sabastian is right, holidays are hard.  How much longer is your vacation?  Hopefully you have found something to occupy a little of your time other than alcohol.  I used to think that I would enjoy my vacations more if I drank.  Once I stopped drinking I couldn't remember a lot of what I did on the vacations other than drink.  I have sense visited some of my vacation spots and without a doubt they are better without alcohol.   Maybe you  could treat yourself to a day without alcohol and do something special for yourself, something you would never do if you were drinking.  Vacations are about the experience.  Have a experience! :)  

Sabastian,
The end of the week is near!  How are things with you are your goal? 
I have a hard time stopping at one glass!

We call this losing control after taking a glass of wine as "physical craving". But the key problem centers in the mind. Observe what sort of thinking goes through the mind when you take the glass wine. Why couldn't you stick with soda and veggie chips?
Hi EJM715, 

Holidays are hard! If you think you can stop while away that’s amazing. Lynn might have some more advice for you. Can you not have anything to drink during the day? It might be a start. 

I’ve been trying go without much this week. Club soda and veggie chips! But I did have some wine yesterday. 

I have to admit that being on this site has been so helpful for me. It’s helping me understand my bad habit more and reflect on where and why I struggle and how that might be affecting others. 

Some of my struggles are having wine during the day. It doesn’t work for me.

I have a hard time stopping at one glass! 

Trying to go without any wine during the week is my goal! But I struggle. 

Using wine to unwind! I need a better choice. 

I hope you are well today. You’ve already take. A step by being here! 
4 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How is it going Sabastian? I’m on vacation & having too much. I’m also starting to feel sick of the unhealthy relationship I have with alcohol &  going to detox for a while. Was thinking I would wait until I got home but thinking it will be better for me to start now. Any help & advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you! ??
Yay!  Day 1 in the books and now Day 2.  Veggie chips and club soda again tonight?
Thanks Lynn! All is well :) veggie chips and club soda ??

Reading this thread: