Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

New here :)

4 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
EJM715,

I think it's good that you went to a therapist.  I think most of us here have had that question about why we do something so destructive over and over.  If we were an outsider looking in, we would think it was crazy.  But we do it, again and again, telling ourselves that today will be different.   

I think the decision to tell people around you depends on how you think they will react.  If you think they will be a source of support, then I would tell them.  Yes, once you tell them there is no going back but if they are supportive and you have a setback, they will understand and help you get back on track.  

I completely understand the fear of not drinking, I had it myself.  It was hard for me to go a day without alcohol, how in the world was I ever going to be without forever?  Think about this question.  Have you ever heard someone who doesn't drink, either because they don't prefer it or because they stopped, say they wished they drank?  I don't know of anyone.  It is possible, and fun, to live without alcohol.  

4 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree Lynn. I feel more at peace and I don’t feel judged. I feel like this is a big step and a healthy one. I feel better today. Thank you Lynn. 
Sabastian,

It sounds like telling your husband could help you a lot.  You and your husband now have a common goal, if household stress is a trigger for you to drink then the two of you working together should help.  How have you felt today after telling him?  

Lynn
4 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All, 
I’m ok, not great. I had a set back this weekend & drank way too much wine! I felt like garbage today! I keep asking myself why I do this over & over again. I went to speak to a therapist about it today & he thinks I need to stop for good & explore going to an AA meeting. Both stopping drinking & going to an AA meeting scares the crap out of me.  I haven’t told anyone about this yet, not even my husband. I feel like once I say it all out loud there’s no going back. I feel like I’m drowning & have no idea what to do. Any advice? Thank you!! 
Hi Lynn, 

He doesn’t have the same struggle. I haven’t asked him specifically to hold me accountable. I may do that. We are working at balancing stress in our home, which is usually my first reason to drink. It’s another step. 
Sabastain,

Confiding in your husband is great news and I am so glad he responded positively.  Have you talked to him about needing accountability?  Is he facing the same struggle as you? 

Lynn
Thanks for checking in Lynn. I figured out how to find
This thread. I had a set back. I am better off when I have accountability. I haven’t been checking in here. I’m going to try hard to not have any wine this week. I had a good talk with my husband and told him about this group. He was so gracious and wants to help. Back to snacks and carbonated beverages this week. 
Thanks for checking in Lynn. I figured out how to find
This thread. I had a set back. I am better off when I have accountability. I haven’t been checking in here. I’m going to try hard to not have any wine this week. I had a good talk with my husband and told him about this group. He was so gracious and wants to help. Back to snacks and carbonated beverages this week. 
Sabastain and EJM715, 
How is everything?  Did you have a good week?  
4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is a wonderful feeling. 4 years is a long time, good for you.

Thank you and have evening

M

Reading this thread: