Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

New here :)

4 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sabastian,

Good to hear you've continued with your plan.  Am I right that you are going to have alcohol tomorrow but moderate?  You mentioned going on vacation. In my opinion I wouldn't look too far ahead with times you will be without alcohol or moderating.  Sometimes it's hard enough getting through one day and looking ahead can sometimes be a little overwhelming.  

Lynn
4 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I did three days and then had some wine - but not overdoing it. I’m planning on one more day this week. Saturday which will be hard but I can do it!! I’m feeling ok with the choice but also thinking about next week already and maybe doing a bit of a cleanse for a few days and putting my focus on that instead. I’m going on vacation soon and am thinking about that too and how to keep moderating! I know day drinking is really bad for me! 
4 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes! I haven’t had anything since Sunday. The weekend is going to be tough but I’m taking it one day at a time & telling myself that I am stronger than alcohol! I finally spoke to my husband about it & he was very supportive. I know I will be so proud of myself when I get through the weekend w no alcohol. I’m taking advice from you Lynn & learning to live again! Thank you so much!! ????
Sabastian, was today day 4 for you?  EJM715, still no alcohol since Sunday?   

I hope you are both doing well.

Lynn
Thank you so much!! Sounds like your drinking habits are similar to mine.  I’m a daily drinker also but trying hard to break that pattern.  I don’t want to let alcohol control me or my life anymore. I’ve spent too much time hungover or waiting for my next drink. I want to get control of my life again & also learn to live without alcohol. I guess that’s my answer huh? I haven’t had anything since Sunday & am feeling better. I still need to talk to my husband but I think I have to take it one day at a time & get control of my life back.
Thank you!! ??
4 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Lynn, I made it one day and am on to number 2. Not gonna lie, I would love to have a glass of wine tonight! I did go pick up ingredients to make pumpkin spice lattes. Today I felt good about myself. I forgave myself for the weekend and didn’t live with regret today! Why wouldn’t I want to do this everyday.  I’m going to keep trying this dayespecially now that I’ve talked to my husband. 
4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very well said Lynn!!
EJM715,

I agree with your therapist, take it one day at a time.  Looking too far ahead can be a bit overwhelming.  It did get easier and less scary for me the longer I went without alcohol.  I think it got easier because I learned to live again, not just exist.  Because I was a daily drinker I spent too much of my time recovering from a night of drinking and/or waiting to drink again.  In my opinion, that's not living.  

The human mind does not like change and that was probably the hardest thing to overcome, the habit of drinking.  It seems so strange now, why I thought things were good and fun when I was drinking and in reality I was a prisoner in my own house.  Alcohol is powerful but you can be powerful too!  

Lynn
Thank you both! I think I’m most afraid of saying it loud & making it real like I am really never going to drink again.  The therapist I saw said to just think about it one day at a time. I need to tell my husband tonight. He will be very supportive which I think is also scaring me. Does it get easier & less scary the longer you go without alcohol? 
Thank you!!
4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with you Lynn,

Our bottle becomes our best friend over time and it is hard to think that we will never see that friend again. Or I liked to think of my bottle as being in an abusive relationship. Why do I stay in this abusive relation, why can't I run away? Even if i don't have bruise on my body, my brain is still getting beat up ( hangover, tireness, guilt, shame, etc,).

And yes, it is possible to be happy without drinking. I am starting my 24th day and I enjoy little things I have not done in years like having clean windows. lol

M

Reading this thread: