Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Week One Complete!

8 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That sounds exciting Virgo! Be sure to let us know what your experience was like.

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,  I'm feeling pretty good.  Using lots of tools, including yoga and meditation (got to get ready for the retreat!).  I feel much more confident that I made the right decision to go to the retreat.  I can hardly wait!  Two week from today.  Thanks for checking in with me.
Thanks, Julie.  I'm so looking forward to it.  I'm feeling a lot better in week 3.  The emotions are more stable, and I'm more energetic and productive.  Sometimes I even catch myself feeling happy!  Who'da thunk it???
Appreciate the support!
hugs,
V
Hi Foxman,
Thanks for your encouragement.  It's so wild that you mentioned Eckhart Tolle.  I just started his course on Udemy.com called Finding Your Life's Purpose.  It's wonderful.  He's such a gentle, humorous, delightful spirit.  I can't wait to read the Power of Now.  Thanks for suggesting it!  
Feeling much better into week 3.  I'm sure the yoga, meditation, warm baths, eating healthy and the support from here and WFS are helping tremendously.  It's so great to be out of hiding and to not feel alone any more.  
hugs,

8 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Virgo,

Congratulations! It sounds like you are doing great. I am not in a position to advise you whether to go to rehab or not. I would say it is not a requirement to go to rehab in order to get well but I do think many people benefit greatly from going to rehab.

How are you doing today?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Virgo on your week+!  Your two yoga/meditation retreat sounds like a wonderful way to get things off to a positive and healthy start.  I can hear your determination to make this change.  Waiting to hear about your progress!
8 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thats awesome. Its all about looking at the world with a different perspective.  Please keep us posted. As we start working on overcoming our short-comings we start experiencing love and serentiy. Initially I couldn't even sit still for 5 minutes. Today I can sit more than 1/2 hour. The power of now by Eckhart Tolle plays a major role in my sobriety. If you get a chance grab a copy of his book. 
Thanks, foxman.  The fog is just starting to lift.  I'm on a roller coaster of emotions, irritability being one of them.  I found a place to go for a two week period to deepen my healing.  It's not a rehab, but it's a center focusing on restoring health mainly through yoga and meditation.  These are two practices that have been very helpful to me.  I have a support group already (Women for Sobriety), and they have two meetings a day online, plus I meet face to face with a local group whose members have long term sobriety.  I think two weeks will be helpful in getting me more grounded and focused.
I've already got my shortcomings tattooed on the insides of my eyelids (LOL).  But I hear what you're saying, and thank you for your feedback!
bests,
V
8 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on the week. About rehabs, as long as you don't have deliriums tremens you should be fine. But, still want to check with your doctor and be honest about your situation. I never went to detox either , I could easily down 5 pints of those high gravity beers in one sittings and be fine next day. When I walked into the rooms of AA, though I was bit foggy, I too had no DTs. But was full of anger and was restless and irritable. Real snappy and my road rage was at its peak. But as I started writing down my inventory of short-comings and started working on clearing it, sanity returned. 
Well, I made it though week one, even though there was a tremendous amount of work and family stress this past week.  I feel good, determined and hopeful.
My family wanted me to go to treatment, as they were very concerned about my drinking.  Understandably concerned.  I spent a couple of weeks checking out rehabs, and I'm still spinning from the sticker shock.  I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms (was not a daily drinker), and I've gathered a good bit of tools and support.  I know it's not going to be easy, but I also know that rehab isn't a magic solution.  
I have had a lot of education about alcohol, and I know a lot about recovery, having had significant periods of sobriety.  I'm glad I found this place (another tool and source of support) a week ago.  
I don't feel I need to go to a rehab.  Any thoughts on that?
Thanks in advance.  
V

Reading this thread: