Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

3 months!

7 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations! 
7 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey flipflopmom!  What a great idea checking in with your daughter when you felt yourself wavering and what a great response from her :-)  She is right, you are doing great and I'm so glad that you were able to stay the course and stay sober.
7 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, thank you for your kind words. The whole work of Eckhart is to help human race transcend the mind. I am glad you are all part of that awakened energy force. He talks about asking ourselves what our relationship with the NOW. I am pretty sure all other spiritual teachings have the same concepts just in different words. The key is not to let the Mind take over. 

Remember the dialog between Publisher and Eckhart in Power of now?

You mean stop thinking altogether? No, I can't, except maybe for a moment or two.

Then the mind is using you. You are unconsciously identified with it, so you don't even know that you are its slave. It's almost as if you were possessed without knowing it, and so you take the possessing entity to be yourself.
So,  always work towards keeping the inner space clean. The big book uses the parable of a failed business. What do they do to come out of bankruptcy? Shell out the divisions not profitable right? And focus on the good parts. And they have to do regular inventory to keep from going bust again. Money keeps flowing right? Its the same with us. Eckhart states there are rare individuals where the collapse of the ego happened automatically (in the introduction to Power Of now) for most, we have to work toward that.
7 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
By the way, Foxman,

As I was tempted to drink that free wine I was thinking of you saying to me... "It's the trick of the mind, Flipflopmom.... then you will be off to the races with the physical craving!"

Your wisdom follows me, Fox!  Thank you, again!
Thank you, wastedtime..

I just got back from a few days away with my family.  I almost drank!!  Yikes!  We were staying at a bed and breakfast and they were giving away free wine.  How terrible!  I started thinking... oh, why not just one?  What will that hurt?  It's free, for goodness sakes!

Then, I asked my daughter, should I have a glass of wine?  And she shouted NO, MOM! She said Mom, you're doing so good not drinking wine!  You don't need to go back! 

So I didn't.  Thank God.  I was so happy that I'm still sober.  I would have felt terrible that I slipped.

7 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations flipflopmom!  I'm just seeing this now although it's a few days old and wanted to tell you that you are an inspiration for those of use who are just a few days in.  It's exciting to see you celebrating your success :-)
Thank you all for your responses and encouragement.

I'm on vacation this week, and I can't believe my husband was encouraging me to have a glass of wine when we were out listening to live music.  I guess there will still be times where he wants me to join him.  I had a seltzer with orange juice instead.  It was so easy to say no.

Julie, that's ok about parts of the thread being deleted.  Thank you for trying to get it back.  It was only a handful of comments, so it's no big deal.

Foxman, you're right about being mindful.  I realize that as soon as I have that cloud of uneasiness come, that's when the temptation creeps in.  I'll try to remember what to do when I'm feeling down.

Colin, thank you for your support!  I do tend to be very honest... on here and in person.  Not everyone appreciates it!  I hope you're doing well in your journey.
7 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats!

I don't think it is a miracle. It is the result of you taking control of your own destiny. YOU did it!

I would like to add "thank you for sharing". The personal insights people provide on this site are invalueable. I have retroactively read your posts and  been inspired. 

You also provided comments to my first post here; my first admission of a problem. Please be aware you are helping others by sharing thoughts around your own difficult journey. I am thankful for your openness and kindness.  

7 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Flipflopmom,

Congratulations on your three month milestone!  Well done in making it through all those summer celebrations without alcohol.  I found that as I made it through all those firsts, I gained confidence that it really was possible to leave alcohol behind. 

By the way Flipflopmom, I was in touch with the administrators of this website to see if they could find the conversation, and it seems that if you copy and paste from another program, threads can be lost. I really do apologize for that; I had no idea.

Wishing you well as fall approaches, a new season of firsts!
7 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Flipflopman!

Three months is amazing! What does it feel like to have control over this?

And thanks Foxman for being such a great support!

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: