Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Dinner out - first time

9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great insight Hunsister! It sounds like you have a really good handle on what works for you. Awesome work!

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley, thanks for your support.  I think, for me, I need to "ground myself" before an event like this.  I don't need to practise what to say as speaking extemporaneously is not a problem for me.  I do, however, need to close my eyes, take some deep breaths, and remember why this is important - all the reasons:  not letting people down, being proud of myself, losing weight, being healthy, saving money.... If I take the time for a few quiet moments before the event, I don't feel anxious about how it will go.  Being in a very upscale restaurant where the server refilled my water glass every few minutes also helped a lot!
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work!

What will you take away from this experience? What do you think is important to remember?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent work Maggie! Well done! Each time you make it through one of those situations is a victory for yourself. Plan ahead and prepare by working through the event in your mind, and what you're planning to say. When you do you are well-prpepared and don't feel like you're on your back foot. Eventually you'll get to the point where it comes naturally and very easy.

Keep going because you are exactly right..you can do this!

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I stopped drinking for Lent (i.e., started on Ash Wednesday) but I did slip up twice during Lent so I'm afraid I don't remember how many days I've been sober exactly.  However, I'm doing well and it's been quite a while.  Tonight I had dinner out with old friends, people who have a very healthy attitude with alcohol.  They each had one glass of wine.  I had none.  I told them my health wasn't great right now (it isn't) and I was not drinking as I wanted to be as healthy as possible.  They accepted that without comment or question.  So...dinner out and nothing to drink.  I wasn't even slightly tempted.  So...40 days and 40 nights and a few more for good measure.  I'm ready to have dinner with other friends - I'm going to do this!  Maggie

Reading this thread: