Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

One month sober!

9 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
really make me smile when i read a succesful stories here. i am so happy for you! :) keep it up :)
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi 77734,

Awesome job on the first month! Well done! That's a huge accomplishment. I haven't tried the app however I will take a look. I did/ do many of the same things you are doing myself and it has helped tremendously with my progress. Keep going and please share your experience and learning. 

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the tips a77734, I wish you all the luck in the world. Sober is a great way to live. I am finding this out as each days passes. I will look into that iphone apt for sure. Personally my goal is to stay sober just for today and if god gives me another day I hope to have the courage to do the same thing. I like your daily meditation practice, I have been doing that also. Exercise ya not so much but maybe I should start. You have been successful with it so why not add it to the things I am doing.
9 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks!

Ashley, my reward is to buy a new pair of shoes for the gym/sport. Quite happy about that. Still thinking about the 100 day reward, but that's around my holiday period so I'll probably coincide that with a trip abroad and head to India/Sri Lanka for a few weeks R&R. 

jakelad, here is what has got me through the month - 

* allocating ten minutes per day to educating myself about alcohol addiction and/or reading the forums on this site.
* downloading a free app on my phone called Life - Daily Motivation (I think it might be Life - Daily Coaching on iPhone). Every day you 'check in' with your goals e.g. No Alcohol goal and Sober Study goal for me (among others). You can have your goals private or viewable to everyone. The No Alcohol goal has a community of others in the same situation and they are quite supportive. You can invite friends and family so they can comment and give congrats for your progress, too. I've found this very helpful as I find accountability for my actions a strong motivator. And it's great to 'check in' every night and see your progress. Good feeling to see "31 days in a row" yesterday. Looking forward to seeing "100 days in a row" soon. 
* replaced drinking in the evenings with exercise. I think this is very important. Exercise has really helped my mood and energy levels and gives me something to do in the evenings other than drink. I've lost a few kilograms in one month already and my self esteem is improving.
* use daily affirmations when I come across triggers e.g. "I don't drink" or "Drinking is part of my past. I don't do that anymore." 
* plan ahead for tricky situations e.g. being around people that are drinking and practice what I'll say to them. Also imagine the social anxiety that I'll likely feel and rehearse what I'll do to combat that. 
* started doing a daily budget on Excel and it's great to see money starting to accumulate rather than wasting on alcohol.
* lastly, I've started to include 5 - 10 minutes of daily meditation to help with daily pressures. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations!

How are you rewarding yourself for this big milestone? Don't forget, finding new was to reward yourself is important...plus you really deserve it!

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi a7734! Great job! You feel great in your mind and body I'm sure!! You can make it to 100 day's and beyond!
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Besides this site how have you done it?
9 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sober September almost complete!

Feels great to have a month free of alcohol. Both body and mind feel much much better and the wallet is a lot healthier, too! 

This site and the community has played an important role in my continuing recovery. Thanks everyone. 

Next goal 100 days!

Reading this thread: