Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

talked myself out of it

9 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nodrama,

First of all, a big congrats on getting through those really tough urges; especially when you are dealing with some hard emotions. Nice work!  That is clearly a skill you have learned.

Feeling guilty, unfortunately, is a big part of recovery for many. It's so important to be accountable but to not wallow in guilt and self-loathing for too long. You need to feel positive about yourself in order to believe you deserve freedom from alcohol. Be sure to watch your thoughts - they have a huge impact on our lives. I also have to say, do you know what a gift you have given those people you have hurt? Just being accountable and actively trying to change is a huge, huge gift. Some people who have been hurt by others don't even get an apology or acknowledgement. So give yourself a ton of credit here. Yes, you have hurt people but you have also put the immense work in to make it better. That is truly amazing. You are amazing for doing that. Believe that and feel that.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND,

Great to hear from you and "Well done!" on talking yourself out of what would have likely amounted to an even more difficult situation. Family dynamics are complicated at the best of times, regardless of the age. I can really appreciate your frustration with your teenage son. I've been through it myself (still going through it actually) and I think TS say it best below. We just have to step back, listen, and try not to get drawn into an irrational exchange with them. I can remember what I was like when I was that age and I've apologized more than once to my mother for putting her through the stress of my teenage foolishness. She just laugh's and says "Don't worry about it :)". You've made so much progress this past year and you have an incredible amount to be proud of. Stay positive and keep moving forward! Great work!

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND,

You sooo deserve to be proud of yourself! It would have been so easy to give in but you stopped and recognized it for what your urge was...history. You knew that it was simply your AV beckoning and you shut it down...well done!

Your son is simply trying to become an adult and a side effect of that is agitation. He's trying to become independent figuring he doesn't need the family unit yet still flipping back to being a kid. He's struggling and likely will for awhile. There's a whole big bag of mixed emotions going on in his life right now. Remember when you were that age? Trying to decide what to do with the rest of your life, breaking into the relationship scene, evaluating your parents, your friends, your siblings, yourself? It's hard and doesn't come without fallout unfortunately. The only thing you can do is listen and try not to take anything personally. If he asks for advice, honestly share what you know or let him know he's brought up an interesting aspect and you need to give it some thought before responding. If he becomes disrespectful, let him know he's being unfair. Never yell or try the guilt trip route as he's learning appropriate responses to difficult scenarios and you are the teacher. Being a parent is hard work but it can be the best job in the world, one where the dividends just keep coming.

Sorry, I can't offer a perspective on your husband issues since you didn't share enough. However, if he's playing the guilt trip card, tell him to stop because it does nothing to help your recovery. You're working hard on things and I'm quite sure your husband is not perfect.

Being self destructive is exactly what we do when we take the garbage that other people heap on us and internalize it. That's why no matter what, we need to remind ourselves of all the positive aspects of ourselves, that overall, we are good people that have done a few things that are not so good. But that does not define us. Remember that!

You're doing amazing ND, don't ever let anyone tell you different.

TS
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I was reading posts this morning for the first time in a while.  Why? Because I think I'm quietly struggling with self distruction.  I can't put my finger on what's causing these feelings---I think it's the stress between my husband and my son. Just normal teenage things but, I hate any kind of unkindness and my son is being unkind to everyone around the house these days. It eats at me when there is discord of any kind. 

My SUCCESS? (This is the success posting string after all!) Here goes---last week (Thursday) I had occasion to have one glass of beer.  That's it. One glass.  After the person I had it with left my office,  I thought I wanted more....activly went out to do just that. Get more...."just a little more"...."just take the edge off"...."not even enough for anyone to be able to tell" "it's been so stressful lately"! Ohe the rational we can come up with!! OMG!!  I snapped out of it and went about my life. Didn't get any more....didn't think about it again until today. When I am reliving it. Why? I don't know.  It's a success that I moved past the wanting but, the wanting itself ---that kind of wanting---the kind that I know is self distructive.....that's what's scary to me.  Last night I was reliving past bad times.  Times when I feel that I've hurt my family. Beating myself up over it. So, I am posting because that usually helps.  I'm not going to jump into it again. I've come to far this past year.....But, sometimes right after a success....I have self doubt and I feel guilty for feeling like I'm succeeding because after all I've put those I love through a lot of crap over the last couple of years. And I just hope to be able to erase it from their memories someday.
That's my goal. To be remembered for better things.....
Thanks for listening. :-) Have a great day!

Reading this thread: