Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Learning--everyday is a new day

8 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your reply ND
I was having a bit of a wobble...thinking that I would be alone tonight, which is a trigger for me, especially at the weekend. Your words made me realise a relapse is not worth the price I'd have to pay of feeling a failure and too letting my husband down. So I will heed your advice and clear out my wardrobe tonight! Many thanks
8 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Volare,

I takes time.  We have to reprogram, reshape our minds.  I have had the biggest stresses the last few days and I'm thinking in the past I would have set myself up for a binge tonight.  But what I find is that the further you get away from those behaviors the stronger your mind is that you are not going to repeat.  I still know that for me to have another binge relapse is the scariest thought to have.  I cannot go back there. So, when I have an urge I remember the hangover, I remember all the drama that comes along with over indulgence.  It's just not worth it for me.  Sounds like you are noticing that change in your brain also.  Good job!! Clearing out the cobwebs and mess of our lives and clutter is very relaxing and I think it's a step in the right direction.  getting drunk is a choice not a lifes sentence. Live you life to it's fullest...love your life, love yourself and find all the beauty that surrounds you.  The choices we make today are the head shakes we  have to live with tomorrow.  I feel more confident and in control than I have in years.  Took a while to climb back.  You are in control of your life Volare. You tell yourself this is a good day. Do a power pose and smile in the mirror! :-)
8 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is Day 4 for me....and in those four days I've learnt so much. I used to think having a glass of wine in the garden on  a sunny day or balmy evening was relaxing, but as I was busying myself in the garden today (pruning and cleaning out the pond) I realised "clearing out my surroundings" was more relaxing! So I think it goes hand in hand with clearing out my mind and my old way of thinking that having a drink was pleasurable. I'm also seeing benefits of not drinking in other areas of my life which I am grateful for. 
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND,

Well done! Your positive progress is very inspiring and I smile when I hear your progress moving forward :) Keep up the great work because you're in control, not them. It's amazing how family can be such triggers and motivate us to find a means to escape. I've got some real beauties in the mix myself. I refuse to let them have any sway on my life and progress. While I used to in the past I made a decision 'enough is enough'. I cannot make their problems my problems because they have own forms of distorted thinking, of which I have no control over. I can change their thinking about as easily as changing the shape of their backsides by staring at them. And from my experience, that seems to be where the majority of their thinking comes from anyway. I can only be mindful of myself and focus on what is important in my life. We're all free to make our own decisions and we have to take responsibility for our own progress. We're given a gift everyday to practice our own forgiveness and move forward and expand on what we have. 

You're a very positive influence on those around you ND. Great work!

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a person that has a problem with extreme thinking.  I am trying to be mindful of it and change my words and self talk.  I like to use always and never. When I catch it I correct it.  Dave, I think you are right. Stress builds up and I sweep it under the rug.  I'm seeing my Dad and his friend tomorrow. A trigger for me. But tonight (i used to get hammered the night before and then have a nice hangover when I see him) no urge....all day no urge. In fact the thought of it I'm indifferent to it tonight.  I had a passing thought today of---hey it's Friday and I'm not working and I don't want a drink...then I thought yay me! Lol! We are all a work in progress but I do feel a bit of progress. 
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND,

You make a lot of great points about not letting a slip become a form of extreme behaviour. One of the things I've noticed that was a driver for drinking were the forms of extreme thinking that have become part of the our mental make up. We always want a lot quickly and drinking lends itself well to this type of thinking. Thinking in extremes can take us from seeing the situation for what it is and escalate it very quickly into something that simply isn't there. We victimize ourselves by thinking that way and feeling like a victim can often be the root of the problem. We'll ascribe all sorts of views and opinions on those things external to ourselves and work ourselves up into a level of stress and anxiety for no valid reason. Next thing you know you feel angry, frustrated, anxious.....Extreme thinking requires an extreme resolution and drinking too much is that convoluted resolution. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Often, our reaction became a binge. We're angry about something that we grew out of proportion in our own minds and, rather than address the situation by expressing our needs through constructive assertiveness we express it by getting back at those around us by getting hammered and isolating ourselves. Or least that is the case sometimes. It makes you ask the question.....do we hang on to these extreme forms of thinking as an excuse to continue our binging? Addressing these thought patterns is critical to ones success in over-coming a drinking problem. If remove the alcohol  but we don't change the way we think and eliminate the destructive thinking patterns we'll continue to work ourselves up and eventually something has got to give and we're naturally wired to find relief to the stress. Finding forgiveness for yourself from yourself, and developing a sense of self-acceptance is very important. No one is perfect and we seem to find forgiveness for others yet judge ourselves mercilessly. No one can live like that for long and I would suggest many of us here have judge ourselves too harshly and, quite oppositely, extend kindness and forgiveness to others before ourselves. 

We need to discover those cognitive distortions and extreme thinking patterns that apply to ourselves, challenge them, and learn to think differently and resolve them because they give birth to the addictive voice that can haunts us. Perhaps that addictive voice is a actually message we should be paying attention to because it may very well be an indicator that we've just spent the last week or so practising these extreme thinking patterns and are now reaching critical mass and need to find resolution for the stress that has been generated. If we thought about things differently and not in extremes, do you think that voice would even speak up? Food for thought....Habitual extreme thinking leads to extreme behaviour (getting hammered). 

Great post ND.

All the best,

Dave
Thanks! I have put him (my hubby) through hell.  He is a saint to have put up with my BS.  Thank God he is still here loving me.
9 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great Stuff ND, its not easy but one step at a time so glad you and your husband are on the same page
Mcaodha---I like the context of "relapse" being like a diet.  Yes, if we go off our diet do we beat the crap out of ourself for days? It's the same type of mentality with drinking---or I think I'm gonna try to make it be.  I don't want to drink. I don't want to get binged out.  I will try not to do it....every day I will get stronger until it's a distant part of my life. And just like with cake--if you are giving up sweets, you have a bite of cake you want more and more....then off goes your diet.  I agree that a relapse is part of our mind trying to stop us from doing something it doesn't want us to do.  And yes! New activities or just something we've been trying to get done.  Yesterday I finished a book, got half way through another one.  Went to the grocery store and avoided the alcohol isle---its a situation I don't need to find myself in at this time.  I was mindful of it and it was like the alcohol section wasn't even there....I saw through it. Went around it and didn't crave it at all.  Got home, told my husband---I'm good---I felt powerful over myself because of it.  That's a great thing.  That's a smile!
9 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Relapses are one of those things that is associated with changing behaviors and is not just associated with giving up alcohol, if I got a penny for every time my diet, went belly up, my good intentions to exercise, to keep in contact with friends that i faithfully promised the last time i saw them went awry .........
I sometimes think relapses is part of my subconscious resistance to change and this allows me to relapse with minimum guilt.
Our cravings wont go away unless we find ways of coping with them.such as a program of new activities, new ways of thinking and acting, support groups, counseling, diet and exercise.
If our guilt is intense, in the absence of a plan we are more likely to relapse until our next effort to change.
We need to recognise our Red Flags, avoid situations of known danger, have exit strategies in place, use stress management techniques, such as EFT and Mindfulness to get through stressful situations.
Some of us may relapse several times before we master our new behavior and it becomes a regular part of our lives, so if at first we don't succeed we try try again and please remember to always practice self care.

Reading this thread: