Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

18 months

7 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Success is possible BB and everyone's path to that is different.  You do need tools to get you there.  Decide on your goal and gather as many supports as you can. It really is better without alcohol although that may seem difficult to believe now.
7 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a new member as of today. The success stories are encouraging. Thank you.
Lynn123,

So great to hear from you and to know that things are going well for you.  I remember that we started about the same time.  Congratulations on your continued AF success!  Wishing you all the very best as you continue your journey.
7 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Julie.  I haven't been here for a while but I see you are still going strong, congratulations!  You and I began our AF journey around the same time, you a little ahead of me, and I am remain AF also.  I'm glad things are still going good for you and wish you well!
Thanks wasted time for your supportive words!  Best of luck as you set out on your journey!
7 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Julie,
I've been away for a while and I know this is late, but I wanted to extend my congratulations to you on your eighteen month milestone.  You are truly an inspiration to everyone who is just starting (or starting again) on an alcohol free journey!
7 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Julie! :)

What you wrote was beautiful. I love that you mentioned self-compassion emerged. This is so essential to anyone, especially those in recovery. I have a sense that it is easier for you to be more authentic as well. It makes sense that your mood is improving as well. Alcohol can act as a depressant and can really change our focus. It sounds like you are really focused on ongoing personal growth and self insight. Awesome work!

Happy New Year to you too. It sounds like 2017 will be a great year for you :) Enjoy!

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,

Thank you!  You always have such insightful questions to get me thinking and your support has been a gift to me.  I feel incredibly grateful to have made it this far and to have a glimpse of life on the other side.  My life still has all the challenges and emotions that everyone encounters; but, the difference for me now is that I am present and I can trust myself to work things through.  Self compassion has emerged because I have worked on it but also because I am not constantly berating myself because of alcohol and its consequences.  I feel so much more settled and completely content at times.  I don't remember feeling that with alcohol.  I believe that if things continue as they have been, things will just get better.  I am stepping up and doing the things I need to do to take care of myself.  I recognize now that alcohol was not something that was good for me; but I don't beat myself up for having been where I was.  It filled a need for me before I was able to fill it in other ways.  Happy New Year to you Ashley and to all the others on this website!
7 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Julie!

Awesome work. I was so happy to read about your success. Thank you for sharing it with us.  How does it feel to have made it this far? How is your life different now?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks for your kind words Flipflopmom.  I wish you a wonderful holiday season and continued strength in your sober journey!

Reading this thread: