Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,682 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg

Two Months!

8 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Julie,

I think your ideas are excellent. There are many things you can do to maintain your attitude or focus and it really is an individual process to figure out what works. I think your ideas are right on point and I definately see these strategies working. To add to them try looking up mindfulness. I use mindfulness daily - especially with difficult emotions and I find it to be essential in maintaining a positive mood. Also, you might want to check our our sister site depressioncenter.net. I have no idea if you have depression but I feel everyone can benefit from understanding the basics of cognitive behaviour therapy. If we can control the way we think, we can control how we feel.

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Inspiring. Congratulations!
8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have reflected on your question about how do I think I can maintain things at this point.  I think that the support of a community is so important and I find that here.  People who share honestly what they have gone through and are going through.  People who write about their successes and struggles.  Supporting each other through the pain and challenge.  Coming on this website once or twice daily strengthens my resolve.  Accessing other online blogs and reading relevant books helps me too.

I think that self care and self honesty are also essential.  I am learning about these and they are fairly new concepts for me.  Finding out what I need to do to take care of myself for my recovery.  Being as honest as I can be with myself, with others.  Realizing that I need to be patient with myself as I learn to use these new skills.  

Thanks for asking tough questions!  Wondering with your experience, what your recommendations would be Ashley?
8 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Julie!

I love reading about your positivity. Very inspiring.

To answer your question, it is amazing how alcohol and the accompanying denial can effect our perspective....it is also amazing how big of a difference our perception of things makes. I am so glad you are in such aware and positive space. How do you think you can maintain this?
Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Celebrating my two month's milestone today and feeling very grateful for all the support I have received along the way. When I first quit drinking my focus was on all that I was forced to give up and how would I ever manage without it.   I did not foresee the positives ahead: the removal of all that guilt and shame, the inklings of hope and contentedness, the emerging feelings of strength and belief in the future.   Not that there aren't still the ups and downs of life, but I am not amplifying the downs with alcohol.  I am not adding to the challenges with overindulging.  

Slowly but surely, I am discovering the person I used to be before alcohol.  It is a process and a journey which I am so thankful that I have set out on.  I know now that alcohol never really made things better.  Why was this so hard to see for so long?

Reading this thread: