Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

Five Weeks

8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It feels so good to not be thinking about drinking in one way or another all the time.  It feels wonderful to know I don't have to worry about drinking too much, hiding how much I drink, embarrassing myself or others if I drink too much and on and on.  By not drinking, I have let go of all that worry, guilt and shame.  Not that I don't have some stuff to work on, I sure do.  But I am now open to working on emotional issues versus running away from them.  I am beginning to see some small changes in these areas and I am very hopeful.
8 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for sharing!

You offer some great tips and advice. 

How does it feel to be in control now?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am fine. Thank you for asking. I am still working out what I want for now. but things are o.k.
Thanks for the support me101!   You are right that it feels good to experience emotions and to feel like I am moving forward into something very positive.  How are things going for you?
8 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for posting Julie. I find you very inspiring. I find myself in the same boat as you more,or less. I think it is great that your husband is there supporting you through your journey. I really wish you all the best for your future. Doesn`t it just feel great to be sober, and actualy experience your emotions no matter wish one. Your feeling, and thats great. Its great to be alive.
It has been five weeks today and I wanted to share in the hopes that it might inspire someone else starting on their journey.  When I was beginning myself, I found it so helpful to hear of others' successes and challenges.

Previous to this I had tried quitting a number of times and I even stopped drinking for several months a few summers ago.  It was always with going back to moderating in the end.  Unfortunately, it seemed to get worse after those attempts.  It wasn't a terrible descent necessarily.  It was more a constant thinking about drinking and then not being able to stop at one drink as planned.  Sometimes I overindulged and embarrassed myself or others.  One day, after such an episode I decided to quit drinking, but this time for good.

This time seems different somehow.  I now know that moderation does not work for me even if I wish it did.  I did have my husband as a support from the beginning.  I have done lots of reading of any books and blogs that I could find.  And I have used this website.

I have had moments when it has been very difficult but they do eventually pass.  I tried to be ready for challenges even practising what I would say when asked for a drink or how to get around insistence to have just one.   At the beginning, it was important to have a special nonalcoholic drink when others had wine but now it doesn't seem so important.

I have tried to show myself compassion as this is such a tough thing to do.  I have really tried to be good to myself, to take care of myself, to give myself a break this past little while.  This is something I realize that I have not taken very seriously in the past.  Meditation, journalling, exercise, reading and trying to do something for myself have all been important supports.

Now at five weeks, I am beginning to do some reading about emotions and why I felt the need to drink.  But I can easily say that stopping drinking has been such a freeing decision for me.  I feel better physically-my skin is better, I sleep better and I have more energy.  I feel better mentally - not beating myself up about my drinking and able to put my thoughts to better things.  I feel better emotionally - I feel my confidence, my sense of hopefulness and my excitement about life returning. 

If I can do this, so can you.  Hang in there and keep trying!

Reading this thread: