Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

9 Days and feeling very hopeful

8 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Julie--I really liked what you wrote.  I agree that it's great to wake up without regret and withoug a hangover.  It's actually kind of bitter sweet for me.  I love how I feel when I wake up clear headed but, feel sad about the times that I've missed due to my lack of discipline and poor judgement.  I occasionally get even emotional about the hell I put those that are dearest to me through but, I realize it's a cycle that I will beat myself up just when I'm feeling "normal" again. So, trying to not do that and so far (fingers crossed) it's working.  I do moderate occasionally with the help of my husband. But, I also know that it's a very slippery hill as you mentioned.  We can moderate ourselves right back into excess.   And yes, it makes me kind of sad also the realization I don't have that self control I feel that I once had....And you are so right shame and guilt and just sickness over blackouts and horrible behavior...no thank you!

Julie---you have inspired me! Thanks for your post.
8 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for sharing Julie.

I can really hear the determination in what you write. You deserve to reach your goals. You are already doing it! Nice work.
Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley, thanks for the question and the chance to reflect on what has brought me here, a good reinforcement at this point.

In my previous attempt at quitting, it was with the end point of moderating in mind.  I really felt that if I quit for a while, I would no longer rely on alcohol in the same way.  After all, I could take it or leave it now right?  Although I did control things for a while, eventually I felt the pull back to just one more and more; until I was back where I was before, except now trying to hide the fact from others so they wouldn't be disappointed.  

I tried to moderate, with my husband's support several times more and it always worked at first but then I felt the pull and need for one more glass.  Such negative feelings and guilt the next day!  Eventually both my daughters and husband voiced their concern and even that was not enough.  The last straw was an embarrassing evening with friends when for the first time I overindulged in front of people I did not know well.  They are light drinkers and they left early because I was getting bombed.  Everyone else had none or several glasses of wine only.

For some reason, this was my wake up call about the reality of my situation and where I was headed.  I am newly retired and I was settling in to drinking every night with no work restraint for the next day.  I was feeling sad and unmoored.  My husband and I has a talk the next day after the dinner party.  It was the day of our 28th wedding anniversary.  He said that he wanted many more happy years ahead.  He said he didn't understand why I needed ever more alcohol but he had noticed the amount I was drinking now.  (He is a moderate drinker and usually has one or two drinks, occasionally more but never overindulges).  He asked what I wanted to do and I said that I needed to quit drinking and asked for his support.

That was two weeks ago.  It has not been easy and I struggle with thoughts of going back.  Alcohol is such a part of every celebration and just life in general. It was certainly an integral part of my life.   I have been telling people close to me as it comes up naturally.  Most say but you don't need to quit completely.  They don't know how I felt and what I was capable of drinking; but I do know now and I have faced the reality of my situation.

Do I feel sad that I can't drink like others?  Yes I do wish I could continue to drink and do so moderately.  But I know that I am not like others and I can't.  I have tried and it simply did not work.  I also know that these past two weeks of abstinence  have begun to give me back my self confidence and optimism.  I am now fully hopeful that there are good things ahead, that I have the strength to handle what life throws at me with a developing belief in my wisdom.  I am setting goals for the first time in a long time.  

I don't miss that constant sense of shame and guilt.  I don't miss waking up hungover and beating myself for failing again.  I don't miss any of that and I know that alcohol never really made anything better.   I will keep reminding myself of all this;  I like waking up with a clear head and I will continue to do so for my own sense well-being.   
8 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for sharing Julie.

It is great to read about your journey through this. How were you about to come to the realization that you needed to stop for good?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks ND....there's been so many positives in the few days that I've stopped drinking....Infact i am grateful that I am sober enough to see and nab the opportunities. Will tell my AV to shut up when it starts tempting me again. How are you coping? 

8 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's great Volare.  You are so correct. It feels so great to have positive feelings and to know you've made a difference in someones life.  And yes, when we are drinking we don't think of anything but that next time we can jump into a bottle.  Life passes us by....people pass us by and the opportunity to make a positive impact on a child---well that is life changing for you and them.  Use the instance of happiness to push you forward and look back at  how it made you feel.  Look at how proud you are right now of yourself.  That is better than any reward with alcohol or shoes! LOL! Hang in there you're doing great!

Thanks Julie...I will be delighted when the day comes that I don't think about having a drink. I have started a Healing from Addiction course which I bought from Udemy. I'm enjoying the meditation and self hypnosis and connecting to my highest self and the advise I'm getting from books and from the forum is a big help too. I did think giving up drinking would save me money, but it hasn't....as I seem to be rewarding myself with shoes!  Actually the best reward so far was when one of my young students was beaming after I praised her. her mum said she was on cloud nine and it made her day. If I had been drinking I would have been more self absorbed, and to see how my being sober and in the moment affected her in such a positive way...well that put me on cloud nine too. So when do get tempted I think of the little girl's delight and  that's been my best reward. 
You know Volare, your posts and responses are so encouraging for me as well so thanks!  I totally understand what you mean by using alcohol as a reward.  That sure was something that I did to celebrate successes and I have been thinking about other ways to celebrate.  Will have to work on that one and I am hoping that comes naturally to me as I follow this path.  So many associations eh?

Good for you for taking that step back and considering before doing.  I read somewhere that it takes 90 days alcohol free to get your brain back to normal.  We will get there.  Well done Volare!
Enjoy reading your posts Julie...they help keep me focussed. I found the first week not too hard, but today is a bit tough..as I always thought of drink as a reward. And as I manged a whole week without one...I'm now thinking " oh that glass of bubbly you are gonna be offered at th spa next week won't hurt...and you deserve it as you would have gone 2 weeks without a drink!  I want to see if I can stop at one, but feel that will put me on a slippery slope....will look at the Recover to Live book as all the books you have suggested have really helped. 
A note I hope will encourage people who are thinking about making a change to go ahead and give it a try.  This time around for me, feels different; I have tried a number of times to quit and to moderate.  This time I know I need to stop for good.  That is a very scary proposition to be honest as alcohol has been my go-to for stress relief and emotional numbing.  On the other hand I feel some relief from knowing that my expectation is not to handle alcohol responsibly at the end of this.  That has not worked for me so no decisions necessary except of course, the one to not drink again.  And that of course is now the challenge: to continue to remind myself that life without alcohol will be better than life with alcohol for me.  

Alcohol has produced such shame, isolation and negativity in me, and yet I had continued to think of it as something that I needed, that I couldn't live without.  Recently I have felt myself opening up to others in a way that I have not known in a while.  Last night I went to a party without alcohol and it was just fine after much worry on my part.  I am feeling more hopeful about life's possibilities.  Was the first week easy?  No honestly it was tough but changing any habit is tough.  But I believe it will be a great step towards healing for myself, my life, my family. 

I am reading Christopher Kennedy Lawford's book called "Recover to Live: Kick Any Habit, Manage Any Addiction" and it reinforces my thought that I do have an addiction,  that I need to do emotional work this time to ensure that I continue to recover.  But also the idea, that there are so many positive aspects to quitting drinking.  It is not just about giving up a support and vulnerably  living life without this crutch.  It is about regaining my confidence, spirit and strength that alcohol has robbed me of.  

I don't want to be presumptuous and give advice to others after a week of sobriety but I did want to offer some hope about the positive possibilities I have really begun to feel and experience.

Reading this thread: