Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,649 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO

Not long but feels good

12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there Rusty. I've been watching your progress, some of the things you have said/done have helped me.
12 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Really having to fight the urges right now.  Not sure why.  Will try to get through today.  Maybe a decaf and wander aimlessly through a large mall.  Trying to get back on my diet and resume daily exercise too with partial success.
12 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rusty,

So sorry to hear about your loss. Good for you for deciding not to drink right now. Getting back to routine will help but also be sure you give yourself the time you need to mourn.  

Our thoughts are with you.

Take good care,

Ashley, Health Educator
Doing better.  Others are having a few drinks now.  I'm not and really don't feel like it.  Just need to get back to my routines.
12 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty,

I am so sorry to hear about your mother's death.  Don't be hard on yourself if you have not been able to be "disciplined" about your drinking. Can you think of other ways to deal with the pain?  One of the things that I am learning is that the more you to try and avoid painful feelings, the more intense and overwhelming they become.  Numbing them with alcohol is a very temporary fix that only makes things worse in the long run. Are you able to use your siblings for support? Are there any other people that can support you?

Athena
So much for being disciplined after mother's death.  She was a great lady.
More stress.  Elderly mother's death is imminent.  Keeping watch.  At least I am here with my siblings.  I should be OK.  At least I don't have a car so buying anything in a weak moment would be very, very difficult.  At least siblings don't drink much.
12 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty,

Thank you so much for the inspiration.  It is so easy to believe that when you screw up - you are right back to square one.  You are living proof that it can be ten steps forward, one step back and then moving forward again.  Thank you for sharing your experience!

Athena
12 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great to hear!

How will you be celebrating this success this weekend?  If celebrating is a loaded word for you try, how will you be present to your success this weekend?

Ashley, Health Educator
Well after 4 1/2 months alcohol free, messed up for twelve days while on vacation (had nothing to do with "just relaxing" - just old habits reacting to a situation), straightened out for the last two days of vacation and now finishing day 12 return to alcohol free.  The screw up is feeling like a distant memory and now feels just like the months before that time.  Feeling good again to be back on track.

Reading this thread: