Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,629 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Repeating Rehab Again

12 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just came back to this post and saw that there were questions.

I don't mind sharing.

I've been to Homewood in Guelph - it's private.  I went there first because my employer paid for it.   It's residential.   If you're willing / able to pay, you can usually get in fairly quickly.  If you need to wait for an OHIP bed, it can be long.

I'm currently in the addictions program at North York General Hospital's Branson Division.   It's 1/2 days 5 days a week, for 10 weeks.   I think it's a really good program.    Your Dr. can refer you, or if you want you can self refer - I think the number can be found on NYGH's main web page, under adult mental health.    You need to have an intake assessment, and I have no idea how long it is from referal to intake assessment, but I think we're talking weeks not months.     If you need help with detoxing they can help you arrange that at another hospital.     You start out in contemplative which is a group that meets Mon's and Fri's.   and is a mixed group of people some of whom have abstinance as a goal, and some of whom have harm reduction as a goal.   If you want to get into the Core Abstinance Based Treatment Program, you need to be sober and have blood and urine screens done and attend contemplative for a minimum of 2 weeks.   Sometimes it takes longer to get in, depending on where you are in the que, but if you're serious you can usually get in pretty quickly.

I'm in Toronto, so I'm lucky - lots of local resources.   CAMH has a great treatment program that you can self refer to, but the wait times are lengthy.

Jeen Tweed, is another treatment centre for women only, that I've heard really good things about.   My current rehab is recommending that I apply to go there as they specialize in trauma as well as addiction.    They have info sessions every Wed. night - I'm going to one this Wed.

splitimage
12 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck with your rehab, I wish you the best! :)
12 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Splitimage,
I'm new to the board.... and new to the process...  so I apologize if I'm covering stuff already said... or seeming intrusive or obtuse.

Firstly...  I admire your perseverence and dedication....  Keep up the fight....   Secondly, I am struggling to get access to the resources you outline....    Struggling.    If you have any advice/ guidance as to how to access these resources that would be fantastic.  I live in Ontario as well....

I came across one post where you shared your experiences in detail.... but can't find it now.  But I found it.... very reassurring.  Just to know someone has been through the same things I have been.... was so very helpful. 

I wanted to let you know.... and thank you for your honesty and let you know that it truly helped me.

Orange
12 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Splitimage,

I don't want to be too intrusive, but since I also live in Ontario, I wonder if you would be willing to share where you have been for treatment?

Athena
12 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Splitimage,
You're staying so strong. I'll being praying that you get a job real soon, so that stress will be aleviated.
We're all routing for you.

12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
splitimage, ditto what Vincenza said.  Keep planning ahead.  Keep posting.  We're with you!
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi splitimage,

You have demonstrated courage in so many ways:  by sharing your experience with us, by not giving in to your plan and by seeking preventative help.  I don't imagine many people would be able to foresee the need for help, let alone admit it.

It sounds like you have really come a long way.  I hope you recognize this!  Stick to the path you are on - you will come through stronger than ever!

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm fortunate that I have this opportunity.   I currently attend my rehab 3X a week - once for aftercare, and twice for drop in support groups that anyone affiliated with the addictions program can attend.   I'm going to all three because I need a lot of support and it helps add structure to my week, since I'm unemployed.

Anyway, I've really been struggling lately - I'm under massive stress what with job hunting not going well, having to sell all my stuff, and find a place to live, so I've been having really strong urges to drink, and in fact had planned my next relapse.  Not good.   Don't worry - I told one of my addictions nurses about it, and my AA group about the plan which means I won't go through with it.   But any way I've been feeling like I'm heading for a crisis, and whenever I have a crisis it never ends well.    So in my group on Friday I was talking about wanting to drink and how much I'm struggling.   The nurse running the group suggested that I consider going back into the intensive outpatient program again for a while just to get more support until I feel more stable in my recovery.

It's only half days a week, mornings, so I'd still be able to job hunt in the afternoon and deal with the logistics of downsizing / moving.   But it's 5 mornings a week.     

I went to my group today and said I wanted to do it, and my addictions Dr. was all over it - she wanted me to start tomorrow, but I have appointments most mornings this week, so I said I'd start next Mon.   

The full program is 10 weeks.   I've done the program before so I'm not sure I need the full 10 weeks, I was thinking maybe 6, but I'll discuss that with my addictions Dr. when I have my appointment with her this week.

This will be my 5'th time through rehab, but the first time I'm going in as a preventative measure rather than waiting until my life is a complete catastrophy.

splitimage

Reading this thread: