Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,654 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS

Two Weeks and Counting

8 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your support Julie : )
8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done Rich61 on your three weeks!  Each temptation overcome builds your strength to withstand the next one.  Onward to your one month goal.  I am pulling for you!
Enlightening: giving you more information and understanding of something

An interesting word choice that I didn't expect would come up in this topic : )
Enlightening is an accurate description of what I have been expereincing this week.
I'm begininning to notice the patterns and triggers of my drinking.

My pattern of having a rough day happens happens in threes.
My favorite day to drink was Sunday, another challenging day for me.
Interesting correlations!

I'm learning to diffuse the energy that is associcated with these situation by breathing and distracting my mind.
My body feels very tense when I am going through a tough patch.
I've been breathing deeply and exhaling slowly to relieve the stress that I experience.
This helps if I can be concious enough to remember to do this

Saturday my wife and I went shopping together.
First to the grocery store and then to the hardware store.
The grocery store is filled with so many triggers for alcohol.
I understand why addicts have such a tough time not giving into the tempations.

After the grocey store we went to the hardware store to buy a shelving unit for our house.
As I walked through the hardware store I could feel the tension rising in my mind and body.
By the time we left I was very vunerable to giving in.
I think that if my wife hadn't have been with me I would have cracked.

By the time we got home I was in a bad mood.
Luckily I had the shelving unit to put together.
After two hours of fiddling the shelving unit was put together.
And the urge to drink was gone.

Well I'm three weeks into this new chapter of my life.
One more week and I'll reach my next goal of one month.
I'm looking forward to rewarding myself with that new bike!

Oh one more thing I put my list in a memo on my cell phone to help me in the future!

8 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a thoughtful list! Be sure to have this list close at hand (some people keep it in their wallet) that way you can read it whenever you need to. 

I am glad you are recognizing all these positive changes! It sounds like even though this is really challenging it is still an enlightening and fulfilling experience for you and your wife. Would you agree?
Ashley, Health Educator
I'm noticing many changes since I quit drinking two weeks ago, Most notably is how much clearer my mind is becoming, I didn't realize how much of a fog I was living in the days after I drank. Things that used to set me off don't seem so bad. I had a pattern of being happy one day, mad one day, depressed one day and get drunk. I did this for almost ten years. Before I quit I was getting drunk every other day. When I started needing almost a fifth of whiskey to feel satisfied I new I had to quit!

My body is getting stronger everyday. The first week I quit I was so tired. I slept almost 10 hours a night and took a nap during the day. This week I'm back to my old pattern of getting up early and exercising with my friends. I've notice that I don't get as sore and I'm ready to go again the next day.

My wife has stopped drinking with me and I've noticed how much more intimate she feels when were together. Her body is so much more responsive and relaxed. I didn't realize that woman's body reacts the same way a man's does when using alcohol.
Ashley,

Thanks for the encouragement  : )

A List of Reasons Why I Quit:

I Feel Better
I'm Clear Minded
A whole lot Happier
My body feels better everyday
I'm saving so much money
I can do it
I want to do it
I like who I really am
My wife and I are talking more each day
I laugh a lot more
My dog likes me better lol
I'm more compassionate
I'm more relaxed
My sense of smell is greater
I'm making new friends

8 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rich61,

Wow, good for you for getting through the birthday party and sports bar! Those are big achievements. I think it's normal that you are feeling a bit triggered now. The fact that you are already thinking of ways to counter these feelings is very good. Do you think it would be helpful to create a list of the reasons why you quit? Sometimes people refer to these lists when they are having a hard time. Maybe it will give you something to read while cookie munching?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you Rich61, and your wife! It's helpful to read all the tactics that are working for you. Your lifestyle sounds pretty active and healthy, are you noticing any physical payoffs yet?
It's been two weeks Sunday since I had a drink!

I made it through week two pretty well. I've noticed that if I eat some junk food the cravings go away. 

I went to a birthday party last Sunday and was offered a beer by one in attendance. This person had been drinking and really tried to insist that I have just one. I had practiced the day before about how to say no in a polite way. Luckily my wife and I are doing this together and I stood my ground. We stayed for several hours and had a good time. No one else offered us an alcoholic drinks.

Last night we went to a friends house for what we thought was dinner. When we arrived the plans had changed and they wanted to go to a sports bar for dinner. I hesitantly agreed to go. When we arrived and the waitress came over to get our drink order to my surprised everyone ordered soda, tea, and water. Things were looking up! We had a nice time and good food.

I didn't sleep well last night. I got up early to meet some friends to exercise and have coffee afterwards. We had a nice workout and some laughs over coffee.

Since then the thoughts of drinking are returning. I think the bar last night brought back old memories of how much fun I thought drinking was. I keep telling myself I've come so far and I don't want to go back. 

I'm keeping my mind busy doing chores around the house, washing my truck, and walking the dog. Writing on the forum now is helping the tension and anxiety ease. I could finish off the cookies in the cupboard if things get to rough : )

Reading this thread: