Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Party! test

9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went to an open bar wedding about 2 months into my sobrioty. Everyone got smashed. I think I drank 20 cans of soda that night. Seemed as long as I had a red solo cup in my hand I was at ease. No one bugged me about drinking most thought I was. It was fun. But on the other hand, I was asked to go out with some drinking friends the other night. I said no and went to a meeting instead. I know it would be hard with old "drinking" buddies. Like the old timers say "sit in the chair long enough and you will get a hair cut". 
9 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Everyone for the support!
Ashley, what stands out most from this experience is the fact that I now know that I can actually enjoy a social gathering without the use of alcohol.  It was probably the first time I ever entertained others (singing and playing quitar) without even one drink to take the edge off.  However, I am very conscious that this was just one occasion, and I don't want to become over-confident.

Swig
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome work Swig!

It sounds like you know how dangerous it is to be around alcohol and you have been doing a great job staying away from it and keeping busy. That takes a lot of work! It also sounds like you now feel ready to test yourself in certain situations. The perspective you are taking on this is very smart. Nice work! 

What do you think you want to remember about the experience?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done Swig! By the time Christmas rolls around you'll be a pro at remaining AF during party situations.I've taken a bit of a different tactic as I believe we will only get better through repeated exposure.  I don't avoid being exposed to alcohol. I had a person from work pop in yesterday out of the blue. I still have alcohol in my fridge from Thanksgiving so I offered my guest one. He accepted and I enjoyed my freshly made beet juice. I thought about the health benefits of my drink versus the empty calories of my guests drink and gave myself a mental pat on the back. I reward myself whether it be through something tangible or mental reinforcement for each success. Feels great not to lose time through nursing a hangover doesn't it? That's a positive reinforcement in itself.

Keep up the great work Swig, I'm right behind you.
TS 
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work Swig! Exactly the way you want to handle it. Plan ahead and mentally rehearse in your mind. That's what I've been doing and found it works really well and takes the stress out of having to face those situations unprepared.

Well done!

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Swig!  What a great achievement! I think you should put it into success stories postings also ! Wow! What a great help self talk is.  You and TS are really doing a great job of staying AF.  I like the thinking of the feel-good Sunday morning... I had a similar feeling when I woke this past weekend and thought this is great! Why would I want to wake up with a hangover. :-) You should be so proud and I'm sure your family is as well. Keep going! Very inspiring!!

Take care!

9 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

There is something to be said about the phrase “Out of Sight – Out of Mind” when it comes to dealing with urges.  Over the past two months I’ve managed to keep my visual exposure to alcohol fairly limited and I believe it has had a great impact on me staying sober.  I have purposely stayed away from my old drinking buddies and I’m no longer looking at a pile of empty bottles in the corner of the garage.  I am actually using my garage as a garage (to do some overdue and neglected work) which also is proving very beneficial in various ways, especially as it keeps the mind occupied.

This past weekend mark a little victory for me also (similar to Toxicsoul), as I participated in a big family gathering (my parent’s 53rd wedding anniversary).  I had decided well in advance that I would not cave in to any temptations to drink and I actually had a great, enjoyable, sober night. (WOW! I can't believe I just used those three adjectives with the word night).  Repeatedly telling myself, prior to the party, that I didn’t need alcohol was much easier than watching most everyone else around me pouring up their favorite cocktail or twisting the cap off another cold beer.  But a few glasses of fruit punch and a beautiful meal soon had me looking forward to a feel-good Sunday morning rise.

I call it a little victory for I don’t feel confident enough to be around alcohol on a regular basis.  In other words, I just don’t feel ready to take on a second job as a bartender or anything of that nature.  Not yet!   

Cheers,
Swig

Reading this thread: