Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

A New "Normal" ?

9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Betterlife,

Great job on staying strong! Especially impressive since you just finished bottling up a bunch of wine and haven't touched it. I also found that I lacked motivation when I was drinking. Exercising just didn't happen at all and there was always tomorrow to get stuff done. My reasoning was pretty convoluted in that the only thing that I didn't put off was drinking...that got done! In fact, it got over done. When I started to keep it by my bedside and drink first thing in the morning I knew that "I" was done. Funny that I should even consider drinking again, total madness really. You are so right ND, a real struggle not to slip back. Again, thanks for the reality check Betterlife.

So good to see you posting again. Please keep it up and well done on 16 days AF!

TS
9 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all....still doing good, keeping myself on track and feel so much better.  TS I'm glad that I said something that had an impact on your decision to possibly have wine at Christmas.  I have been consupidering it as well but at this point I'm not sure it's what I want to do.  About a month before I decided to stop drinking I had made a batch of wine.  It was ready two weeks ago, I bottled it and put it in the cold room.  Most of it will be given away as gifts for Christmas.  For some reason I feel empowered knowing it's down in the cold room yet have no desire to drink it.  It gives me the realization that I have the strength within me to stick to my decision.  

Nodrama it's no fun walking through life in a haze,we're not really living when we're in that state.   I felt like I was just existing, and nothing was that important to me.  I had little energy and most of my life revolved around scheduling everything based on my wine time.  Things are getting accomplished and I'm so much more active.  Life is way better this way.  

9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, TS you are right. Drinking daily can suck the life out of you.  It's interesting how different we feel when we don't have any of it in our system vs. even a couple of glasses a day.  

I went to a lunch this summer that really made me think...one of the speakers was a professional basketball coach...one of the rules for his team is none of them drink because he said they treat their bodies like temples and don't put any type of drug or poison in them.  I wrote that down ---not because I didn't already know that was truth---but I found it interesting that he was so intense about this one thing.  He went on to talk about the parties, the pressure and how he will bench them if he finds out they've gone against the rule.   And how he can tell if they are abusing their bodies because of how they play.  Kind of is like what Betterlife was saying about how we go about life when we drink---let things go, put off things we need to do....feel like crap.  But, it's a struggle to not slip back to "that normal".....it's a process of making choices....
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jakelad, I have to tell you that I think of your post regarding leaving the kids in the car almost daily.  

I use it to remind myself where alcohol could take me.  In fact for some reason it comes into my mind when I drive by a particular set of railroad tracks that has a bar beside it every time!   While i haven't actually done that act, I have had nights where I stayed up when I had to go to work and nights I don't remember.  It's all part of the same story we all share. 

I wanted to tell you this to let you know that your sharing that has had an impact on my daily life. 

Thank you for sharing it. 
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Betterlife,

Welcome back! So glad you're giving it anther run. Drinking on a regular basis can sure take the life out of you. I was actually toying with the idea of having some wine at Christmas time and then I read your post. I know full well that if I did imbibe at that time it'd be another binge, a huge binge. So, thank you for helping me to put that into perspective. 

I'm glad that you are feeling better. Please post the next time you feel like a glass and maybe we can help.

TS
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I really like "never quit quitting". 
Good luck to you. 
9 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone, I'm back.  12 days AF today.  It's funny how I happened upon this thread  about normalcy when just an hour ago I was saying to myself that I want to get back to my normal self, this is why I've stopped drinking.   For far too long drinking wine almost daily was "normal" for me.  Waking up with a foggy head was "normal".  Feeling sluggish and not thinking clearly was "normal".  Putting aside things that needed to be done around the house was "normal". Not anymore, that wasn't normal at all, I was walking through life in an alcohol induced state most of the time and I am sick of it.   Last weekend was the first weekend in a very, very long time that I didn't drink, and it felt wonderful to not wake up feeling like crap.  Most of the time when I drank I didn't get drunk, but I still suffered from the ill effects the next day simply because I had alcohol in my system.  I'm enjoying being sober, i feel so much better physically, mentally and emotionally.  

You all seem to be doing great.  Keep up the great work!  
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Normal for me is to not take that first drink. Because when I do I know exactly what will happen. One drink and I want more, the more I have the less normal I get. Not normal to make your kids wait in the car for 2 hrs while I drink at a bar. Not normal to stop for one after work and stay till close. Not normal to drink till 4am when you have to work at 7am. Not normal to not remember the night before.
I want to be normal, so to do so I must not take the first drink. 
9 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mcodha,

Congrats on 10 months AF! 

It is very inspiring to hear from others who have found this program helpful in dealing with their alcohol problem and making positive changes.  You should post to the "success stories" forum.

All the best!
Swig

9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mcaodha! So glad you posted! I've often wondered how you are doing and you've brightened my day by checking in. Thank you and "Well done!" on 10 months. That's amazing. Please check in a little more often :)

I can relate to the occasionally feeling like having a drink. I don't treat that as a bad thing though because sometimes I can look at a totally decadent dessert as well and think the same thing, however, I know if I ate that dessert I'd feel terrible. Same with having a drink. I don't get bent out of shape about it because I appreciate it from a distance and let someone else indulge. 

One thing that I have found to be extremely helpful over the past year and bit is to try not to let my feelings and emotions to get too extreme where drinking is concerned or when dealing with stress. When I say that I mean letting myself get too high about success (excited and elated) and too low (as in extreme anxiety, sadness, resentment). Both are at the extreme ends of the spectrum and have the capacity to shut down the critical thinking part of our brain. Optimum learning typically takes place in the middle of that curve, with a little stress keeping our attention focused. Ever notice how stress can shut down our thinking? Even something like criticism can cause our thinking processes to shut off. Assertiveness is a great skill to develop to assist in keeping grounded. 

Great plan mcaodha by doing new activities. It breaks you out of the comfort zone and expands the learning while getting comfortable with not drinking. It continues to get easier. It's so important to live through the experience of abstaining from drinking, especially in the trigger situations, because once you get through them you now have the capacity to challenge them and think through them on later occasions. 

TS, I was exactly as you describe with the mental rehearsals and continuous focus. Still am to a degree but in a different way. It can be tiring however it will become easier. At the front end we seem to be faced with a lot of trigger situations and that makes sense because we drank a lot for a variety of reasons. We're relearning and re-wiring. Building new pathways can sometimes feel like walking up stream, a bit of a struggle depending on the strength of the current. . Eventually we'll find those calm spots so we can relax, gather and absorb our thoughts, and prep for the next test. You're on the right track and a great inspiration for the others here.

Great topic ND! You're doing great, keep going. 

All the best,

Dave

Reading this thread: