Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Honesty

9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome sense of control ND! Well done! Very inspiring.

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"think of how you don't think straight for a few days after a binge"

That's so true. I think that the poison in our brains alters everything. Sense of reality, sense of love....that binge can make you feel depressed and really irrational and distorted. 

"The primary problem is the inability to keep away from that dreadful 1st drink"

Yesterday I had a huge urge. I literally was talking myself into going and buying something to drop in my pop and then gonna go about my day.  Had the reasoning all planned out and it happened in a matter of 3 blocks drive. I don't really know what was driving me to want to drink....except my most recent slip is still trying to get out of my system still as I know it takes like a week to get it all out.  SO--as I was drivinig.... I played out the most recent slip in my head....remembered how exhausting that was, how horrible....then I told myself outloud..."NO GO BACK TO WORK" I kept on driving.....then said it again...and made myself turn the vehicle and head back to work. No drinking, no first drink.  I litterally felt it go out of my body. Felt like someone had punched me in the chest!! It was the darnedest thing that's ever happened to me! Serously like an out of body experience and I know that sounds crazy!! LOL!  BUT---I was so proud. So glad I had made it!!!

That first drink is like a cliff----if I step off I'm going to fall.  That's what I've figured out. 
9 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ND,
  They physical craving is secondary problem. The primary problem is the inability to keep away from that dreadful 1st drink. Look back into and see what was the state of mind when you picked the bottle from the trash can and drank vodka. Probably, at that moment, all you were thinking/obsessing about was that 1 drink that will give you relief. That is the blind spot we need to address. When we are in non-acceptance of the current situation we are in, we shut ourselves from conscious thinking and all we are looking for is a temporary relief. 
Hi ND,

No, it takes more alcohol to get there because of our functional tolerance to it and we also have to drink more because we metabolize it quicker, hence, the large quantities we can consume so quickly. Only speaking for myself here but I always wanted to get the buzz started quick, but sipping a beer would never do that. It used to in the past. I'd need to down a few in pretty short order alter on. Only people with a high tolerance can do that. Same with metabolizing the alcohol. When we metabolize it quicker we consume more. That's why some people could drink an entire bottle of whisky in a day. A moderate drinker would be completely totalled and drop like a stone if they did that. When you started drinking remember how little you had to drink to catch a buzz. Remember how quickly you could recover? Add in the age factor and your recovery time diminishes. It takes a long time to develop a tolerance to consuming vast amounts of alcohol. Sure the drinking problem progresses over time because we're building a tolerance to the problem and developing all sorts of supporting problems to go along with it. Think about how you don't think straight for a few days after a binge. Imagine binging everyday on extreme quantities of alcohol? Well, I can. Depression, anxiety, anger, irrationality, distorted thinking patterns......and having a drink helps calm it down. We never had the skills to deal with anxiety before the drinking problem started, how could we possibly expect those skills to magically appear in the midst of a full-blown addiction. If anything we'll rely more on the alcohol because we generate 10x the problems because we're drunk. Except now the problems are magnitudes worse and the stress levels are magnitudes higher. It's an easy problem to get lost in and the only way to resolve it is to stop. Give yourself the time to let your thinking come back, which starts happening fairly quickly. Over-coming the problem takes time. When we stop are minds are very malleable and open to change and we need to be careful with what we decide to program into them. Make sense? This is only part of the equation. There are natural brain mechanics at work as well and that's a whole other topic. Fortunately we have a LOT of very current, up-to-date resources we can draw on and so much progress has been made in our understanding the brain, nutrition, psychology, the mind, therapies, etc and were extremely fortunate to be living today rather than 50 to 80 years ago when the field was virtually non-existant and they viewed addiction as a moral weakness and employed completely ineffective techniques to resolve it. The most important thing to keep in mind is that we can resolve this challenge.

All the best,

Dave
Hi Dave 
So is it that it takes less to get there but more because to stay there? And we metabolize it differently like at a higher concentration? 
Hi ND,

Great attitude ND. Keep going forward with that one.

People certainly metabolize alcohol differently, especially after someone becomes so well practiced after drinking excessively so an extended period of time. Women don't metabolize alcohol's well as men. 

Just to clarify, chronic alcohol user metabolize alcohol up 2x faster than the average drinker, not slower, resulting in a lower peak alcohol concentrations, which would explain the craving, not the other way around. It's called metabolic tolerance. Chronic users have end up with a functional tolerance, which is a change in the organs or systems sensitivity to alcohol. Chronic users have up to 2x the functional tolerance as average drinkers. Kind of a double-edged sword...chronic drinker's metabolize alcohol quicker and also have a higher tolerance for it so it makes sense that they would need to drink more and quicker to achieve the desired effect. So while we increase our tolerance (over a period of years) we also end up increasing  dysfunctional thinking habits (because our thinking is functionally impaired) and the remorse and regret from all of the stupid embarrassing things we do....ranging from destroying relationships to impaired driving charges to ruining a job.....the list of trauma's goes on, adding to our stress and low sense of self-worth. Imagine how traumatic the experience of profound regret is for a socially withdrawn person  if they get completely fall-down drunk in front of their peers. The whole cycle feeds on itself. 

All the best,

Dave

Foxman,
I get what you are saying.....
I am conceding...I have told my innermost self that I cannot drink. I am moving forward and gathering myself up and going to continue on with my life. 

I definately cannot metabolize alcohol properly. It is not my friend.  I don't want to leave room for failure but, I also want to accept it if I do have a failed attempt (as I have recently) and not beat myself up for it.  Because that's what i've been doing--beating myself up and that doesn't motivate me to quit it motivates me to drink more because, I feel like that's what's going to happen ultimately anyway----which is a wrong way to think about this. 

NEW day....NEW frame of mine....I am trying to be kind to myself and realize that I'm not good or bad...I'm just a person with struggles.  Everyone has struggles....it's how we decide to deal with them and overcome them that defines our life.  I'm going to face it head on from now on....and be active in my own life.
9 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I may revisit it later but I need some serious space from it right now.  

I had to fully concede to the innermost self that I cannot drink safely again ever. Thats when true recovery started. Until then I was live room for failure. There is a phrase in the book alcoholics anonymous: Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic.

There is no way of converting an alcoholic/problem drinker into a normal one. This is because of the physical nature of our body. Something happens inside the body that we crave for more. Dr. Silkworth termed in allergy/phenomenon of craving. But modern day scientist have proven that its due to metabolism. Some metabolize alcohol slowly and hence they crave from more alcohol once ingested.   
Thanks for your kind words Axandermery.
I've been struggling lately. So I really haven't been posting as much as I should. I'm not in denial that I have a problem. I embrace it as that's the only way to beat it.  Being honest with yourself is very important because in the end it's yourself you have to look at in the mirror.  I slipped the other night and drank---and got sick. Normally I would have these several days to talking about it, feeling sorry for myself and doom and glooming it up. This time I am resolved to dust myself off and try again. This time I'm going to get it right! I'm resolved---gonna give up on trying to moderate for a while. I may revisit it later but I need some serious space from it right now.  

Honest--- honestly I have behaved like a teenager, honestly I have to stop because it's truely poison, honestly I wish I could just be back to my old self and not have this hang over me. 
9 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You just did the right thing by telling your problem to your family. At least you show to them how honest you are.

Reading this thread: