Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

the smells

9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great advice! Thanks for sharing Jewel.

I can read you have a strong mindset. It sounds like you are determined to maintain this. That's half the battle!

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ashley-as I mentioned, I wasn't aware of an open bar. If the bar would have become a trigger for me, I would have just left the banquet. Nothing is worth loosing my sobriety. I guess my advice for those in high trigger situations is to first recognize your triggers.  Know what can put you at risk. Knowledge is power. However, we all may be triggered by an event or occasion that we never thought would be a trigger. I'd say utilize resources such as these forums, speaking with sponsors,  and removing one's self from the cause of the trigger. It's still day to day for me. But I'll continue to fight for my life. These forums have been a God send for me. 
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You guess you are kind of proud of yourself?

Don't guess. Be sure! You deserve to feel very proud. That sounds like a really tough, high trigger situation and you didn't even struggle. AMAZING!

Congratulations. 

What advice would you give to others who are in a high trigger situation like that?
Ashley, Health Educator
Wow TS, I had to think on this. You ask me was the smell offensive. I have to be honest and say no it wasn't. That kind of scares me. The smells were a form of familiarity if that makes sense. They were what I'd known for years. But I'm trying to look at it like a friend who is no good for me. That friend may still be there after all these years, but the relationship is toxic. I dont want to return to toxicity. Does that make sense? Am I wrong to feel like the smells of alcohol were not offensive? I'm glad you brought that up with me. You really made me do some thinking. 
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jewel,

Must feel great to chalk up another successful bout with alcohol. Just wondering, when you smell alcohol on peoples breath, do you find it offensive?  I am finding that, like cigarettes, I really hate the smell of it on people, especially as the evening wears. I don't even have to be in close proximity for it to annoy me. Perhaps I'm simply over sensitive to odor...that's a good thing. Course, when I drank, I didn't notice it.

I think many of us perhaps saw our problems as being worse than what they really were. Yes, many of us suffered physical, sexual and/or psychological abuse but it really comes down to life and how we deal with it.We survived and hopefully learned from our trials and ensured that we did not repeat the cycle. I now look at life's challenges as just another test.

I've been studying hard lately as I plan on passing this sobriety one.

Keep up the good work Jewel, you are doing great. Thank you for sharing.
TS
This past week, I attended a Christmas banquet. Unbeknownst to me, there was an open bar. And the bar would be at the entrance of the banquet room, my luck! I took my seat at my table and requested a diet coke. I saw others drinking beer, wine, etc. Throughout the evening, I was in conversation with numerous guests. The one thing I knew was who was drinking what. I smelled beer, wine, mixed drinks, etc. Yes, I actually could smell it on their breath. That brought me back to when I used to try and hide my breath with mints, gum, mouth wash, etc. I probably wasn't fooling anyone. But the banquet was a success. I abstained and it wasn't a struggle. Guess I'm kind of proud of myself. I was always one who would look for any reason or occasion to drink. I guess I will always be able to decipher the many smells of alcohol. Not really proud of that, just being real. I drank them all in an effort to numb myself from my reality. Yet now I see my reality is not so bad. Blessings to each of you! 

Reading this thread: