Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,620 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING, JHAYLO

Not Feeling Well

12 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there Janie,

I have also been told that I have to stop drinking before I can address my depression, which I understand, but also struggle with - they are so intertwined.  It can be a very vicious cycle.

Good for you for keeping your family top of mind and getting out there to do things.  Despite the fact that my own personal experience has confirmed what so many people tell me - that excercise is great medcicne for depression - it can be so hard to get motivated.  Hang in there.

Athena

12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Janie,

I am sorry you are feeling this way. Remember that Depression can be a symptom of withdrawal. You should start having improvements in your mood once you are farther along in your quit.  Seeing a counselor, going to a support group and joining an outdoors club are all fantastic ideas.  These activities will likely have a direct effect on your mood. Good for you for being so on top of your health! It sounds like you are in control of this despite your mood.

You are doing great. It may not look like it now but you are making very positive progress.  Feel proud and even give yourself a reward.  You are doing this!

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your support all! I have made an appointment to speak to a counsellor, have a follow up appointment with my doctor and am hoping to join a support group in person, have to wait until tomorrow to get details on that and have joined an outdoor sporting group that does hiking, snowshoeing, canoeing, etc. Still sober as much as I wanted to drink this weekend. I just keep reminding myself how dangerous alcohol is to my entire body and that I want to live long as long as I can for my daughter and husband, so I keep plugging along....... stay tuned, lol! 
12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We in AA call this untreated alcoholism, some call it spiritual malady. Most people think its the booze that is the problem. But we later realize its not. We just used booze as a lubricant. The real situation is we can't handle the current situation we are in. Guilt, remorse, anxious, depression all comes back. 

Back in 1920s' the benefactor of AA said this in the Doctors Opinion and i still think its valid. There is no medication to fix it. But there is a spiritual solution:

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while
they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems
the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort
which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed
to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of
a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person
can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.

On the other hand-and strange as this may seem to those who do not understand-once a psychic change has occurred, the very same person who seemed doomed, who had so many problems he despaired of ever solving them, suddenly finds himself easily able to control his desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules.
12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Janie.  I'm sorry too.  Keep reaching out for help.  I'm praying it gets better soon.
12 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
janie,

I'm so sorry to hear that your depression has returned and that you're not feeling well. Please let us know how the follow up appointment with your doctor goes. 

You are right that these types of journeys are often challenging ones. Stay strong and try to remember your reasons for behaviour change.

As orangetomato mentioned, we are here for you in the meantime. 

Sonia
12 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Janie,
I've been told I can't see a psych until I stop.... as well.  And I want to stop.   but am waiting for medical detox... or maybe I'll go cold turkey.  But BE STRONG.   I can't give you any advice.... because I can't battle the demon myself...  but do want you to know I'm listening.  and I'm here.    

I'm listening.... and I'm here.

Be strong.

Orange
12 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My depression has come back with a vengeance. I have abstained for the last 9 days and am no longer on the detox medication. The last 2 days I have felt terrible physically and mentally. 
I began drinking due to depression that was never successfully treated. I am hoping that at my next Dr. appointment for a follow up that I can get help to successfully treat the depression this time. He said I had to stop the drinking before treating the depression which totally makes sense. It is discouraging for me to feel so bad, as I have heard positive stories about people feeling great once they quit and I don't. :(
When I drank I suffered but my analogy is that I played and paid, now I am not playing but I am still paying. I knew it was going to be a challenge, I was just hoping that my depression wouldn't be as bad since I was no longer ingesting alcohol which is a depressant! 

Reading this thread: