Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,626 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO

day 3

12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beautiful!

Lucky grandchildren!

What's it like to have fought this hard in order to be healthy and a good grandmother?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks Rusty and Ashley!

what motivates me is my will to live, and to live longer and healthier.  Last year at this time I was taking anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-anxiety and sleeping pills while drinking to excess!  

Last June I took myself off the anti-depressants and anti-psychotics, but continued to drink heavily and take the sleeping pills nightly and anti-anxiety pills occasionally.  

With watching the news about Whitney Houston, I realized where I was heading also.   

I have grandchildren, (another one due in May)... and I want to be physically and mentally *here* for them

12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations snaphu!

You are almost at one week!

How are you keeping yourself motivated?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great stuff!  Make it six today!  If there is one thing I've learned, I can want to change myself, but it won't happen until I am determined to change.  Hang in there.
day 5 is almost over, I won't be drinking tonight!  this is the longest I have abstained for along time!
just here, so far
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi snaphu, 

Your 'support team'  is anyone in your life that is helping you through this challenging time as you quit drinking - that includes us here in the AHC online community.

Who are the people you are leaning on or receiving support from as you working towards becoming free of alcohol dependence?
what's my "support team"?
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello snaphu,

Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time, please take the time to work through the program. The first few weeks can be the toughest. The good news is that there are strategies that can make these first few weeks less stressful.

There are strategies that work. We know they work because researchers who specialize in the field of alcohol reduction have studied these strategies for years.

Try using self-talk, use your support team, and post often to name a few. 

Samantha, Health Educator
hi, and thanks Hepsie I don't have time to sit a watch old movies etc... the horrible feelings aren't just physical, the emotional pain of ruining my life for over 40 years is overwhelming

Reading this thread: