Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

I fell off the abstain train

12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
it's always on my mind by the time late afternoon comes around

I was in the same boat, I would wake up in the morning feeling miserable, guilty, hangover...I will make a resolution not to drink until the weekend but few hours or sometimes days away, I will end up buying one 20oz bottle from the gas station. And thats it, I will make several trips back to the gas station. Today the obsession is gone, but I just have to follow few simple rules.
12 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks "foxman" for the AA Big Book quotes.  

I made it through today without any alcohol!  it's very tough though, it's always on my mind by the time late afternoon comes around 

I'm going to keep aware and conscious of my triggers and craving tomorrow, and deal with them appropriately 
12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is copybook example of powerlessness, the Big Book talks about:

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

The almost certain consequences that follow taking even a glass of beer do not crowd into the mind to deter us. If these thoughts occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old threadbare idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove.

The alcoholic may say to himself in the most casual way, "It won't burn me this time, so here's how!" Or perhaps he doesn't think at all. How often have some of us begun to drink in this nonchalant way, and after the third or fourth, pounded on the bar and said to ourselves, "For God's sake, how did I ever get started again?" Only to have that thought supplanted by "Well, I'll stop with the sixth drink." Or "What's the use anyhow?"

I think I have decided to learn from my mistake/s this time...  in the past I just gave up, and decided it was no use, the addiction is bigger than me...

it's different this time, I want to learn from this "slip"... and figure out what to "do in the future to prevent this from happening again! 

this means I have to REALLY think hard, and plan ahead !
12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your honesty Snaphu.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. Slips happen and can be an important part of the learning process. What did you learn from this? What triggered it and what could you do in the future to prevent this from happening again?

Onward and Upward!
Ashley, Health Educator
  I wasn't getting any harsh cravings, and dinner was prepared, I made myself a healthy smoothie,  My husband came home with 16 beers.   He found out yesterday that his ex-mother in-law has a brain tumour and a less than 2 yr life expectancy.

He offered me a beer, and I TOOK IT!   I drank slow, but I couldn't stop.  My husband drank about 9 beers in a very short period of time.  I drank a few more, but really paced my self.  I ate dinner.

I don't feel a hangover today, but I still drank tooo much.  It wasn't necessary, and I feel bad for being weak!   

Reading this thread: